Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes if you want them to show a long life without servicing needs. Same with semiconductors. Haven't you noticed how Papa over specifies power Mosfets in Class A amps? There they dissipate constantly enough like DC warmed up resistors.

P.S. Tell us more about your system configuration and what you replaced with DCB1, and the sonic footprint. Maybe even a picture if you may.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, a bit better for some filtration. If you find it worthwhile you can find your best type and value. We are not doing engineering now, we try to subjectively evaluate some little chemical cap distortion VS some little more noise on the Vref. Just do your most handy.

Well, I'm not very well at listening, but I have noticed more punch and more defined bass tones. Especially in drums or in the slap of an upright bass. I haven't give it a serious listening yet, only while doing other things.

It is connected to a gainclone LM3886 with a regulated PSU. It's been made from carlosfm's schematics, both amp and PSU.
My source are not the best, mainly mp3 and cds, played on the PC through a modded EMU 0404USB, wich has been changed to better electrolytics caps. I still have to change the output opamps to better ones.

This is my DCB1. I dont plan to make it look better or painting it, my mainly end is trying to get best sound. I finished that DIY stepped attenuator last week, it's 20k. I found a bargain at ebay, a 24 steps double rotary switch for 10$ shippment included, so I had to bought the Dales from mouser. It is internal wired with single core cat5e wires. It has placed underneath an output cap for the delay-start regulator. Pannasonic FM and Nichicon Audio KW capacitors, Dale and Takeman resistors. An all-steel chassis construction.

It sounds excepcionaly clean, putting my ear near the cone at max vol I cannot hear even a slight hum from it. It was substituting nothing, I was controlling the volume with the pot of the emu0404. I plan to bypass it with a wire, it doesnt seem to be good enought for the task.

Attachments

• IMGP1385.JPG
    IMGP1385.JPG
    959.7 KB · Views: 607
  • IMGP1386.JPG
    IMGP1386.JPG
    963.3 KB · Views: 525
  • IMGP1387.JPG
    IMGP1387.JPG
    669.3 KB · Views: 490
  • IMGP1389.JPG
    IMGP1389.JPG
    619.6 KB · Views: 517
  • IMGP1391.JPG
    IMGP1391.JPG
    587.5 KB · Views: 481
Yes its nice to see a shining one. Do short your Emu's output pot, will help. I see 3 gold flashed pins on the reg bus. You plan to supply something extra?

I don't plan to supply anything else, I just put those pins to work as test probes, to check voltages, etc.
I have another spare DCB1 board if in the future I plan another preamp or just the shunt supply to power anything like, maybe, a DAC. I haven't yet found a near perfect DAC which decided me to build. The same as this DCB1 or my PPAv2 headphone amp (which I consider both to be amongst the best devices in their class), I am still looking for a long term high end dac.

Tea-bag, could you post some photos of your construction? Maybe you did it before, but I can't remember seeing one with the whole chasis.

I replaced those 100uF caps with some film ones today, hoping to get a listen later tonight. On first turn on, its very subtle, but maybe its a little smoother than before, but I can't really tell yet.

The caps are from madisound, carli caps:

Carli Mylar 4.7 mfd from Madisound

I do have some Wima MKP 4.7uF (as well as much smaller values, 0.22 and 0.33uF) that I can swap in but they're not as easy to mount.

More later....

Fran

Attachments

• IMAG0041 copy.jpg
    IMAG0041 copy.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 614
I'e been heatsinking it this evening, now it is ready for a big CCS.
What I have in my parts bin are 2W 2.2 Ohm, 2.7 Ohm and 4,7 Ohm.
I plan to put 2 x 4.7Ohm in series to achieve 9.4Ohm, what will give me (from 2.456v drop in R1) a 261mA CSS.
Or add a 3rd resistor of 2.2 in series to get 211mA CCS

With 261mA it disipates 0.64W and with 211 it does 0.5W. I think 2W resistors are enought for both options, what do you think?

Let's try to improve this baby! :eek:

Attachments

• IMGP1393.JPG
    IMGP1393.JPG
    648.2 KB · Views: 596
  • IMGP1394.JPG
    IMGP1394.JPG
    815.5 KB · Views: 584
  • IMGP1396.JPG
    IMGP1396.JPG
    759.2 KB · Views: 536