Building a symmetrical psu B1 buffer - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2009, 10:24 PM   #511
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Thanks for all the time and answers. I won't sink more current as I am very ( too ?) conservative with useless heat and waste power. IMO when people would be somewhat more conscious about energy we would not have the problems we have today in this world. It all starts with small things ...
It will still sound as intended, which is good enough. I don't crank up either. But if someone already has an F5 for instance, will not hesitate... If China will not turn ecological, Polar bear's future is in the big picture anyway.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:27 PM   #512
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Last week I had an engineer over that had recently installed a large quantity of UPSes in a chinese factory. He told me he was surprised to see mostly 4 stroke scooters in Beijing nowadays. It's a start.

I really hope that they will learn from our mistakes, how hypocrite it may seem. Suppose they make all the same errors...life will be difficult for the whole planet if so.

Last edited by jean-paul; 23rd November 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:36 AM   #513
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas,

I will watch the line voltage over the next few days and see what happens, but that is unusually low. We have had serious rain, of biblical proportions here in the past week with many areas flooded. I know lots of places are without electricity, so undoubtedly all that is connected in with my low line voltage.

I got the source selector switch wired up tonight. I used a 2 pole, 6 position switch, set to 4 positions and I added in some LEDs on the other pole as indicators. I used the 12V supply before the Vdrop resistors for the relays with a 1K in series. Works a charm.

Volume pot is next on the list, then after some listening, get the lightspeed made and hooked up.

Thanks for the help so far.

Fran
Old 24th November 2009, 01:59 AM   #514
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
space charged
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Last week I had an engineer over that had recently installed a large quantity of UPSes in a chinese factory. He told me he was surprised to see mostly 4 stroke scooters in Beijing nowadays. It's a start.
..far off topic........
Uh, I thought they mostly rode around on bicycles? Scooters sounds like a start, to using more petrol.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that because of the rising incomes Chinese are more likely to purchase an automobile.
..apologies, back to our regularly scheduled topic...

Old 24th November 2009, 02:05 AM   #515
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Thanks Salas,

We have had serious rain, of biblical proportions here in the past week with many areas flooded. I know lots of places are without electricity, so undoubtedly all that is connected in with my low line voltage.

Fran
Fran,
I heard on the news about the flooding problems and rain.

Last month our area set a record for rain for the month, 3x the last record I believe.
Old 24th November 2009, 10:13 AM   #516
diyAudio Member

I know - luckily the area I live in is dry - even after all the rain, my yard was dry - not a single puddle!

Lots badly affected though. One shopkeeper said that his insurance used to be 4k, he was flooded 8 years ago (not as badly as this one) and afterwards they wanted to up his premium to 32k - and that had an exclusion for flood damage!! So most o these people are without insurance now.

Yes, back to topic now, sorry for being OT there.....

Fran
Old 24th November 2009, 01:40 PM   #517
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
AndrewT's prices are better than anyone out there for matched sets. Not only better but a real bargain.
Uriah
I sell LSK170 in matched pairs to UK buyers. Payments and posting are simply when internal.
I now add a premium to International orders for all the extra work and particularly the travelling to the post office (14miles each way).

BTW.
the B1 and the shunt regulator do not need matched pairs.
The B1 just needs selected Idss. No matching is required.
Old 24th November 2009, 08:10 PM   #518
DQ is offline DQ  Romania
diyAudio Member

One quick (very) newbie question. If going for a DCB1 with a Lightspeed attenuator can I use a single 48VA 2x12V transformer for both? If yes, how?

Edit: if not, what kind of transformer would be needed for a Lightspeed linear regulated PSU? Sorry if this derails from the thread topic, but my main question is about integrating the DCB1 with the LS...

Last edited by DQ; 24th November 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 24th November 2009, 09:50 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

DQ: just look at the wiring diagram on the side of the transformer - join the 2 wires representing the centre of each winding together (=centre tap). Then you have 12-0-12. Check voltages before hooking up.

Thought I'd add a few pics up here.

Sorry for the fairly crappy phone pics.... the wooden front will match my F5.

Fran
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24112009400copy.jpg (169.2 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg 24112009401copy.jpg (140.2 KB, 712 views)
File Type: jpg 24112009402copy.jpg (133.8 KB, 684 views)
Old 25th November 2009, 08:48 AM   #520
DQ is offline DQ  Romania
diyAudio Member

Thanks Fran (and by the way congrats for your built). I knew I can get 12-0-12 from 2 x 12-0, but I can't relate your answer to my question, sorry. Knowing so little makes one feel so... stupid

Perhaps I should rephrase a bit. And sorry, while I love music I now very little about electronics as you can easily notice.

The trafo that was suggested to me earlier on this thread gives me 2 x 12V (12-0-12, if you like). Say one secondary rail (did I say it right into English?) goes to the DCB1 PSU positive reg. for instance. The other secondary rail goes to DCB1 PSU negative reg., but also to another couple of bridges and a cap (can be identical the the ones in the DCB1 PSU) that would give me the DC voltage for the Lightspeed. Would such an asymmetry be alright for the DCB1? I think the Lightspeed draws constant current, but I'm not sure.

Also, if the above is OK, would the 48VA power rating of the transformer be enough for both DCB1 and LS?

You may all laugh if this idea is so obviously wrong, but please tell me why.

Hide this!Advertise here!