Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

I have one Mez [proto] and one Hyp [production] each with those exact values for the LED strings. They work just fine and sound great. The design is rather forgiving.

my bag of leds are very tightly matched.. so tightly i cant piece them together to get the 5.4v.

all the led's measure 1.90 v @ 6ma.

do i need to get more LED' - how critical is the 5.4 v and 9.6v?

Measure the output connector - or even bring it to the store with you. AFAIK, the board is single sided, but be careful enlarging the hole, you don't want to damage the plating too much if you can help it.

I'm thinking very strongly about mounting the DCB1 right inside my F5 amp (once I know its working OK!). Has anyone else here done that? I reckon I would leave one set of inputs somehow wired up so I could use the F5 as a power amp direct.

Anyone done this? I'm a little concerned about the heat (gets to 40degC inside my F5 case) but its still fairly low....

Fran

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Watch its sinking to be good if you do, you better not afford DC rail out if one side PSU ever fails. This is a full DC coupled combo you are thinking to integrate. Why not starting with a capacitor between the two, at least for a trial period so to check basic reliability of parts and boxed in life?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
At least play with a set of small inexpensive speakers like a couple of plastic ones from an old desktop PC for 2 days burn in and reliability test, and cross your fingers for the years to come, if purist with no hint of a coupling cap nowhere. Are your speakers pricey? Those will get it if a failure ever occurs. There are relay power output protection circuits and kits that watch DC offset, introduce a delay to avoid power on thumps etc. to have too.