Building a symmetrical psu B1 buffer - Page 182 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2010, 06:50 PM   #1811
diyAudio Member

"Légion Etrangère", rude guys...

I've pointed the pins for measuring voltage on the pic.
What value should I find there ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salas Mezmerize Top SK170BL.jpg (265.6 KB, 742 views)

Last edited by korben69; 18th July 2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 18th July 2010, 06:56 PM   #1812
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Indeed. Roughly +/- 10-11V
Old 20th July 2010, 12:43 AM   #1813
diyAudio Member

Default Well that was easy...

... I wrote some time ago about the DCB1 sounding odd because it was rolling off as the frequencies got into the midrange and got progressively worse through the treble. I did three things to it and it straightened out. I changed out the gate stoppers for some carbon composition types (was using Koa Spear metal films) replaced the volume control and increased the current in the regulator to 100 ma. I suspect that the regulator current was just too low. I now have a little DC offset in the output of 1.2 mV and .6 mV where it was not measurable before.

Didn't listen to it very long as I will need to use the heat sinks on the MOSFET's now but the depth of stage is impressive. Now I can start trying a few things to see what the final values are going to be. I'm going to go to 150 ma on the regulators and see how that works out.

Now it's getting to be fun again.

Last edited by Macronaut; 20th July 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 20th July 2010, 07:35 AM   #1814
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Was it some wrong value in the current setting and was especially low? Maybe the gate stoppers could have been wrong in value too?
Old 20th July 2010, 11:18 AM   #1815
diyAudio Member

The gate stoppers were 220 Ohm. The initial current was set by a pair of 68 Ohm resistors in parallel per side. Each set of resistors had 2.14 Volts across them so I don't know what to think of it. ???
Old 20th July 2010, 11:29 AM   #1816
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Probably it was oscillation. We are talking about the audio part gate stoppers?
Old 20th July 2010, 01:27 PM   #1817
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macronaut View Post
... I wrote some time ago about the DCB1 sounding odd because it was rolling off as the frequencies got into the midrange and got progressively worse through the treble. I did three things to it and it straightened out. I changed out the gate stoppers for some carbon composition types (was using Koa Spear metal films) replaced the volume control and increased the current in the regulator to 100 ma. I suspect that the regulator current was just too low. I now have a little DC offset in the output of 1.2 mV and .6 mV where it was not measurable before.

Didn't listen to it very long as I will need to use the heat sinks on the MOSFET's now but the depth of stage is impressive. Now I can start trying a few things to see what the final values are going to be. I'm going to go to 150 ma on the regulators and see how that works out.

Now it's getting to be fun again.
First at all, why did you knew that it was rolling off? Did you used measurement equipment to check it? Or did you use any software tester like rightmark and a soundcard?
Because I have, and mine outputs straight as a line. Please, do that before making assumptions based on subjective impressions. Post your picture from rightmark too so we can aim to diagnose your problem.

Going from metal films to carbon composition is not going to make any objective difference.
Old 20th July 2010, 01:45 PM   #1818
diyAudio Member

I understand your concern with the subjective side of this. However... it was so obvious that there was a problem and I don't really have anything at my disposal to use for measurement. The sound was not unlike that of turning the treble all the way down to the -10 db mark on an integrated amplifier. Sorry I cannot provide anything more than that for now.

I Googled Rightmark which looks interesting. I'll look into that as time permits. Life requires me to tend to too many other things for now.

Last edited by Macronaut; 20th July 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 20th July 2010, 01:51 PM   #1819
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Probably it was oscillation. We are talking about the audio part gate stoppers?
Yes. I had ordered the wrong type of resistor for the input. I had intended to just use that to make the circuit work before I ordered any of the 'audio quality' resistors recommended in the BOM.
Old 20th July 2010, 01:54 PM   #1820
diyAudio Chief Moderator

So now its subjectively flat? Because to such a degree of treble loss you describe it should have been a very serious problem. Most likely oscillation. Do you have long interconnects on input/output? What type of wire construction, shielding?

Hide this!Advertise here!