Building a symmetrical psu B1 buffer - Page 175 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2010, 03:54 PM   #1741
Malka07 is offline Malka07  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Those Mosfets still amaze me with their ruggedness. So tiny sinks and they survived. Didn't I tell to use proper sinks or bolt to thick floor so many times? You can't run on same sinks you use for regular setting a hot rod. OK, killing a Mosfet is no big deal, but if someone uses a DC amp without output relay DC sense, bye bye speakers. OTOH, when prepared rightly the anti environmental setting attitude has some subjective benefits.
Seems like the Mosfets are fine when a fan is on them...was playing music loud for an hour, i checked the mosfets and they were'nt even warm

Salas i have a question, not sure this is the place...i want to use your shunt reg to power my optivol, would i have to remove the power supply section from the optivol (0.1uf-7805-10uf-0.1uf) or can they stay?

Also sorry about the picture attachments, i wasn't sure how to do it properly before, and thanks for changing it for me.

Alon
Old 12th July 2010, 04:26 PM   #1742
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I think you are hearing the interference across the 1M0 at the hypno relay.
Old 12th July 2010, 04:29 PM   #1743
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithot28 View Post
Hi Salas,
I build Hypnotize system, everything is great, except when power ON and relay Switch still OFF, I heard BIG humm and it disappear when switch ON.
What's wrong with my systemm ???

tq
We have no reports here about such an incident before. If your amplifier has capacitor input you can hardwire the relay signal points always on. Without info I can't guess your system. Do you use BC517 for driving the relay?
Old 12th July 2010, 04:33 PM   #1744
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malka07 View Post
Seems like the Mosfets are fine when a fan is on them...was playing music loud for an hour, i checked the mosfets and they were'nt even warm

Salas i have a question, not sure this is the place...i want to use your shunt reg to power my optivol, would i have to remove the power supply section from the optivol (0.1uf-7805-10uf-0.1uf) or can they stay?

Also sorry about the picture attachments, i wasn't sure how to do it properly before, and thanks for changing it for me.

Alon
If it stays then you feed 8V and the shunt is a prereg. If it goes, then you feed 5V and the shunt is the only reg. Listen to both options.
Old 12th July 2010, 04:37 PM   #1745
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

when the Hyno output relay opens, it leaves a 1M0 between the signal hot and signal ground.

This is seen by the receiver as a 1M0 aerial at the other end of the interconnect.
Old 12th July 2010, 04:43 PM   #1746
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is it a valve amp with very high impedance? First system I see report it minds the output resistor. Weird. Maybe we will get more info by the user. It can work without the 1M too if there is a reactive situation. Do a test without 1M sithot28.
Old 12th July 2010, 06:57 PM   #1747
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchw View Post
50-ish should be OK with these FETs. My mini-Aleph is at high 50's in summer, and it has survived 2 summers.
Keep in mind that computer microprocessors are ok to be run until 80 or 90. They will last less than when being colder but, who has had to change a microprocessor because of being "too much used"? I work in the IT industry and i'm still left to see a processor broken. Not a motherboard full of capacitors. Not a RAM module. I mean silicon microprocessors.

45? That makes me laught. We are just right now at 40 ambient temp in my city, even 42 in some other spanish cities. That temp is good for keeping them in the drawer :P

wushuliu,
2x 7ohm 5w resistors should be nice to test, I would think in a bit higher wattage for long term use. And keep an eye on your case-heatsink temperature, it can get QUITE hot. Just test it and see

Uriah,
For the transformer matter, the default bias is 60ma aprox. for 2 rails. Having a voltage of +/-10v, that is a power of 20*0.06= 1.2w. We are using a heavily overrated 50VA trafo. If my calcs are right, we can still able to suck 40 times the power from the same trafo, if my calcs are correct.
Apart from that, in this shunt regulator there are no supply transients regarding the transformer. The DCB1 shunt regulator is sucking a constant draw of 60ma by default. No more, no less.
Old 12th July 2010, 07:05 PM   #1748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
wushuliu,
2x 7ohm 5w resistors should be nice to test, I would think in a bit higher wattage for long term use. And keep an eye on your case-heatsink temperature, it can get QUITE hot. Just test it and see
Yeah. Just need to know how much bigger a transformer I would need if I pugh it that far...
Old 12th July 2010, 07:22 PM   #1749
diyAudio Member

What transformer are you currently using?
Old 12th July 2010, 08:21 PM   #1750
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
What transformer are you currently using?
the RS 25vct.

Hide this!Advertise here!