Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• Hypn.jpg
    Hypn.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,093
Joined 2006
Paid Member
For my B1 I'll try those new Takman resistors.
Until now I've been using Dale CMF/RN and nude bulk foil resistors, lots of Dale and only a few nude bulk foils, it has something to do with the price:)

Now those Takmans come in two flavors: metal film and carbon.
Has someone compared them? Any differences ?
If I want the last bit of detail/transparency should I go with metal film instead of carbon? Or just buy them both and see/hear them for myself :)

Regards,
Danny

I have not found Takman's to be 'relaxed or mellow' in anyway. These are quite detailed, may present a little more upper end presentation than PRPs.
I like both resistors in the signal path. I would like others opinions also.

I am using KOA Speer (Kiwame) carbon films in this build, and will test PRP against it at some later point. No critical listining in main system to make a decision yet. :spin:

I finally wired up my input selector last night. It works perfectly. No noise, switches without pops or noise. Once I got mine running, I jumped right to building the case. I am hoping to get some more time on it tonight. If all goes well, I will be starting the finish on the wood tonight.

:)

How things change

Well, yesterday this buffer sucked. I was pretty ticked and feeling moody about the whole thing. I was blown away that anyone could listen to it and not hear the crap coming out of the system. Terrible.
Today I love it. And that was from the first turn on today. Instantly better. Of course, Dire Straits was on.. so maybe that helps a little:D
Her Latest Trick is incredible and at about 3 minutes into it it was audible that the soundstage smacked open a little wider, deeper, fuller.
Detail everywhere.
The metallic sound to cymbals is wild. Really really good.
Yeah I love it :)
Genius Salas. Nice job man!
BTW mine likes low impedance LSA better than high impedance. I have not measured it but at what I know is 25k it doesnt sound that great (Still better than anything else :) Just relative to different impedances). I know this sounds crazy but I like the sound I am getting at 700R to 4k Rtot on the LSA. Should that be Zin? Not sure but thats what sounds best to me. Yeah you can devise ways to make the LSA any impedance you want. Its just fiddly when you dont use a 100k dual log pot. Like right now at 4k the volume adjustment is seriously touchy. Will try a different pot. Linear this time and see if its nicer to me.
I endorse it! Very nice buffer/pre!
Uriah

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I finally wired up my input selector last night. It works perfectly. No noise, switches without pops or noise. Once I got mine running, I jumped right to building the case. I am hoping to get some more time on it tonight. If all goes well, I will be starting the finish on the wood tonight.

:)

Good to see one custom encased. Will be easier to move around, do comparisons, and look like a pre after all.:) Waiting for pics.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The first one has better regulators. Both are the same for their audio part.
Those are good only for driving amplifiers with an input capacitor. They don't have a delay circuit, and DC is going to briefly appear on their outputs during shutdown.