Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

Hypno Proto build

Help, Sorry I am sure it is just me but I can't figure out which way to install the leds. I read that the cath should be placed at the broken circle, but the screen looks symmetrical to me. Both sides are broken.

I have the ccs leds lit on one side, but I can not get the other side to light no matter how I spin them.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Like this.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,135
So we got it working.
Problem was the 220R was not even connected. The resistor itself is fine and measures 220R but the pad was incinerated.
Up and running!
First listening impressions are almost no perceptible difference at all, but thats fine because my Lightspeed is the right impedance for the amp it is driving anyway. So I know that the DCB1 can get out of the way, but make it easier for my CDP to drive my Amp. I give a slight advantage to the Lightspeed by itself in my system because I just feel something slightly more 'organic' when listening to the LSA only. HOWEVER when I use just the LSA I get to remove a 12' pair of RCA cables that I KNOW are crap from the system so I need to integrate the LSA into the DCB1 chassis and get rid of the set of junk interconnects.
I also know that the LSA has trouble driving other amps by itself and has experienced big gains by the introduction of any kind of buffer when this is the situation. Like I heard in Austin, when we introduced an RIAA pre into the system the sound got really good whereas before with just the LSA it was muddy because there was an impedance mismatch between the source, LSA and Amp.
So I was considering just building a new set of cables to try this out but the difference is so slight that I think I will integrate them into the same box and have the advantage of driving whatever I want from now on.
Will give further impressions after integrating and getting the 400R in there.
Uriah

So we got it working.
Problem was the 220R was not even connected. The resistor itself is fine and measures 220R but the pad was incinerated.
Up and running!
First listening impressions are almost no perceptible difference at all, but thats fine because my Lightspeed is the right impedance for the amp it is driving anyway. So I know that the DCB1 can get out of the way, but make it easier for my CDP to drive my Amp. I give a slight advantage to the Lightspeed by itself in my system because I just feel something slightly more 'organic' when listening to the LSA only. HOWEVER when I use just the LSA I get to remove a 12' pair of RCA cables that I KNOW are crap from the system so I need to integrate the LSA into the DCB1 chassis and get rid of the set of junk interconnects.
I also know that the LSA has trouble driving other amps by itself and has experienced big gains by the introduction of any kind of buffer when this is the situation. Like I heard in Austin, when we introduced an RIAA pre into the system the sound got really good whereas before with just the LSA it was muddy because there was an impedance mismatch between the source, LSA and Amp.
So I was considering just building a new set of cables to try this out but the difference is so slight that I think I will integrate them into the same box and have the advantage of driving whatever I want from now on.
Will give further impressions after integrating and getting the 400R in there.
Uriah
Uriah,

Good news indeed! However I think it does highlight the thinness of the track and that one has to be careful with the (axe) soldering iron. After my problems with the led pads I turned my iron down and changed over to Cardas QuadEutectic solder - no further problems.:D

I will be putting an LSA into the Hypnotize leaving my LSA/B1 pre as it is - both for comparison and fallback.

Alan

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am happy to report that replacing the lower NPN with a Salas recommended BC517G and a upper 550c worked well.
This in addition to replacing the National Semi with STMicroelectronics 7812ACV removed the chatter I had currently seen. So I will ask Korben69 to put this on the recommended parts list.
I will also discuss with La Ode a possibility of updating the boards to reflect this change if we deem it will work for everyone.

At the audio get together I had in Austin I think the Lightspeed was on the end of the preamp/buffer/RIAA thing. This sounded fantastic. I think people are putting the Lightspeed ahead of the B1. What do you think?
I was thinking my CDP is probably 600R out, a guess and if the B1 puts out 1kR then probably Lightspeed in front of B1. I am guessing in front.
Ri

BOM news and Updates

Hi all, great work ! :worship:

I'm compiling the V3.7 including those mods :

- Lower NPN BC517G towards B1 audio part : Qty ? (Tea-Bag / Salas)
- Upper NPN BC550C towards the 2 resistors: Qty ? (Tea-Bag / Salas)
- STMicroelectronics 7812ACV : tested and approved (Tea-Bag)
- 538 10112033 Female 3 poles connector (Tea-Bag)
- 2x12v vs 2x15v 50VA (Tea-Bag)

Let me know if I'm missing something.
Quite busy until now ;)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi all, great work ! :worship:

I'm compiling the V3.7 including those mods :

- Lower NPN BC517G towards B1 audio part : Qty ? (Tea-Bag / Salas)
- Upper NPN BC550C towards the 2 resistors: Qty ? (Tea-Bag / Salas)

Let me know if I'm missing something.
Quite busy until now ;)

Vice versa. Lower towards 2 resistors = BC517
Upper towards B1 audio part = BC550

Takman

For my B1 I'll try those new Takman resistors.
Until now I've been using Dale CMF/RN and nude bulk foil resistors, lots of Dale and only a few nude bulk foils, it has something to do with the price:)

Now those Takmans come in two flavors: metal film and carbon.
Has someone compared them? Any differences ?
If I want the last bit of detail/transparency should I go with metal film instead of carbon? Or just buy them both and see/hear them for myself :)

Regards,
Danny