Aleph 3 (electrolytics) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2009, 09:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 3 (electrolytics)

Hallo,

I need some help because I' ve bought a second (stock) Aleph 3 to make vertical passive biamping of my redesigned (crossover,box,cabling...) Tannoy HPD 12".
The older Aleph 3 (n8695, 220v) is, at present, working flawlessly. The newer one (n10048, 110v) in seeming mint condition is in the box, I' ve never powered it.
Now the questions:
1) Do I have to change the fuse of the new unit after I've changed the voltage?
2) Is it necessary to have it checked by a tecnician (slowly powered with a variac or other things that you think necessary....)?
3) Is it a wise move to change all the electrolytics of the two amps (they are now some years old...)?
4) If so which kind of capacitors for best quality/physical dimension can I use?

Thanks to all, excuse me for my bad english (I am from Italy) and if you have other ideas...I'm all ears!

Regards.
Old 2nd June 2009, 03:21 PM   #2
The one and only

Yes, you have to change the fuse.

The Aleph 3 and also the 1.2, 2,4,and 5 don't have any adjustments
and are extremely reliable. If it appears to be working, I wouldn't
bother.

As to caps, you can change them if you want, but I haven't run across
any that have needed it yet. The PS caps are the high temp
Panasonics, available from Digikey.

Old 2nd June 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you mr.Pass.

Only a final question about the fuse.
In the Aleph 3 owner's manual on setup page (third line) is written: ...240/120/100 volts, all with a 3ag slow blow type fuse.

In the Aleph 3 service manual, first page, I read (twelveth line): F1 is a slow blow fuse, set at 4 amps for 100-120 volt operation, and two amps for 220-240 volt operation.
What is the correct value?

I am apprehensive about the electrolytics because you said that after fifteen years they can be gone and I don't know if they have worked or not and can cause damages to the amp. Can I measure them or it's only a matter of slow bass/diminishing dynamic?

Thank again for your patience.

Best regards.

Stefano
Old 8th June 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spersanti276
Thank you mr.Pass.

Only a final question about the fuse.
In the Aleph 3 owner's manual on setup page (third line) is written: ...240/120/100 volts, all with a 3ag slow blow type fuse.

In the Aleph 3 service manual, first page, I read (twelveth line): F1 is a slow blow fuse, set at 4 amps for 100-120 volt operation, and two amps for 220-240 volt operation.
What is the correct value?

I am apprehensive about the electrolytics because you said that after fifteen years they can be gone and I don't know if they have worked or not and can cause damages to the amp. Can I measure them or it's only a matter of slow bass/diminishing dynamic?

Thank again for your patience.

Best regards.

Stefano

Hide this!Advertise here!