diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   which pass amp for ellis audio 1801b's? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/14394-pass-amp-ellis-audio-1801bs.html)

Mach_Y 28th April 2003 02:53 AM

which pass amp for ellis audio 1801b's?

Can anyone offer advice on which pass amp to build to match with the Ellis Audio 1801b's? They are 83db @ 1w/1m efficient, and very accurate. Preferably I would rather one that sounds more "tube-like" to match with the 1801b's. Thanks :)

Jean 28th April 2003 07:06 AM

I vote Aleph 2 . Why you ask ? Simple, I am making a pair ;)

labjr 28th April 2003 04:09 PM

I don't see much interest in the Aleph 60. Even though there were some improvements over the Aleph 2.

Of course, I can see why Mach_y needs the extra power with such inefficient speakers.

Dane 28th April 2003 05:47 PM

I would speculate that the most likely reason is that the Aleph 2 clones and discussion threads started first,
and this initiated quite a few projects... (thanks to the BrianGT PCB) Then transformer purchases for the 42V rails leads you down the Aleph 2 path.
Wouldn't you rather have 100W anyway? ;)

Here are some other PCB design threads in case anyone is interested and doesn't want to use the search.

Aleph 3
Aleph 5
Aleph 60

I have seen the one board/channel, and the 3 board/channel implementations.
What I have not yet seen is a 2 board mono-block, like on the actual Volksamps.
Putting the Active Current Source components on one board,
and the differential input and the output components one another board
would be a clean design, with only a few wires between them.

I used the 3 board approach... and the chassis does get full!

labjr 28th April 2003 07:10 PM

After some reading and studying, I may try to build an Aleph 30, and see how that comes out, learn a little, before trying to tackle an Aleph 2 or X.

Looks like the hardest part of building an amp is finding heatsinks and the mechanical assembly of the hardware.

colwaiting 28th April 2003 08:12 PM

ellis audio

I would suggest about 18V rails and 2.5 amps on an Aleph X. With this you stay in the sub-monster range (ease of construction and $$ is the issue)
Any time you want to really crank the volume, switch to an ordinary 100-120 w/ch amp.

labjr 28th April 2003 08:50 PM

How much power is the Aleph X with the 18 volt rails? I'm not sure there is a firm circuit design out there for the "X". or is there?

I'm sure the improvement that the "X" driver circuit provdes would be nice even in a lower powered amp.

Mach_Y 28th April 2003 09:40 PM

Re: ellis audio

Quote:

Originally posted by colwaiting
I would suggest about 18V rails and 2.5 amps on an Aleph X. With this you stay in the sub-monster range (ease of construction and $$ is the issue)
Any time you want to really crank the volume, switch to an ordinary 100-120 w/ch amp.

Due to space / money concerns (not currently having a 100-120 w/ch amp), I can only do one amp. The Aleph X looks interesting, but can it produce 100-120 watts? Also, is anyone making a PCB for the Aleph X at that power? Since this is my first solid state amplifier project (done tubes, but much fewer parts in those), I don't want to attempt P2P wiring.

Assuming there isn't an Aleph X board at that power, do I go Aleph 2 then? The Aleph 60 or 30 do not offer enough power for my application.

trigon 28th April 2003 10:25 PM

Do not forget as well Aleph 4 that has 100W per channel as well and it can be done in monoblock version. Here is the link of the Aleph boards nicely done.

Kristijan's boards

Hope this help;)
Trigon

Mach_Y 28th April 2003 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by trigon
Do not forget as well Aleph 4 that has 100W per channel as well and it can be done in monoblock version. Here is the link of the Aleph boards nicely done.

Kristijan's boards

Hope this help;)
Trigon

I had planned on buying boards from him. They look very nice. Can anyone comment on the differences between the Aleph 2 and Aleph 4? Thanks!