Help - Zen V4 electrical short?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I just mounted my transistors Q1, Q2 and Q5 using a silpad insulator in between the transistor and the heatsink. How do I now check for electrical short between these transistors and the heatsink? Do I check for electrical short from each pin of the transistor to the heatsink and repeat this for all the heatsinks or do I check for short only between the center pin (Drain) to the heatsink?

Also do I perform this check after the PCB has been grounded to the heatsink through R20? or before I do this?

thanks in advance
vsr

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi, vsr123
Checking for shorts between Drain and heatsink is just fine.
While there you could as well check the other pins. None of them should touch ground, except the Source of Q1. Between Source of Q1 and chassis you should measure R20.
If R20 is not in place, you should measure nothing between ground and chassis, as it is the only link between them.

Start for the first time with no load and a variac, if you have one.
Good luck, and let us know how things go.

/Hugo ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.