Shorting balanced inputs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dantwomey said:
What is the best method for shorting the balanced inputs when not in use? I have read about shorting caps and I would like to do this externally (no internal jumpers) so I can switch inputs at will. Any suggestions anyone?

Well, perhaps the simplest way would be to go to Home Depot and get some 12 gauge solid copper wire. Cut it, use some 400 grit to smooth off the ends, bend it into a U shape and insert them into pins 2 and 3. Assuming of course your inputs use female inputs.

se

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Re: Re: XLR

Steve Eddy said:

Well, perhaps the simplest way would be to go to Home Depot and get some 12 gauge solid copper wire. Cut it, use some 400 grit to smooth off the ends, bend it into a U shape and insert them into pins 2 and 3. Assuming of course your inputs use female inputs.

se

Or using XLR F connector with bypassed 2 and 3

uli said:
You mean 1 & 3 ??
Uli

No, 2 and 3 is good choice, 3 and 1 are bypassed when you connect unbalanced source to balanced input.
2 is hot, 3 is cold, 1 is ground

Regards

Re: Re: Re: XLR

moamps said:
Or using XLR F connector with bypassed 2 and 3

True. Though a wee bit more expensive than a length of wire. :)

No, 2 and 3 is good choice, 3 and 1 are bypassed when you connect unbalanced source to balanced input.
2 is hot, 3 is cold, 1 is ground

That presupposes that there are unbalanced inputs configured in this manner. Which may not always be the case.

The reason for shorting 2 and 3 is that when unused, they act like a pair of high impedance whip antennas which can couple RF into the circuit.

Another approach would be to make a small round plate out of copper and solder a length of 12 gauge solid core to it and insert that into pin 1, which would provide shielding over the unterminated inputs.

Only problem with that is that some gear doesn't tie the signal reference grounds to pin 1, just as some cables use a telescoping shield that's only tied to pin 1 at one end (usually intended to be used at the source end).

se

TNT said:
You are on different kontinents. I thougth maybe Europe and USA connects XLR differently, no?

The actual standards (IEC, AES, ANSI, SMPTE, etc.) are for pin 2 positive, pin 3 negative and pin 1 ground/shield. Some comapanies don't pay any attention to the actual standards that have been established and some will wire pin 3 positive (Jeff Rowland for example). However as far as I'm aware, all use pin 1 for ground/shield so if you're going to short pins 2 and 3, it doesn't matter whether pin 2 is positive or negative.

se

Re: Re: Re: Re: XLR

Steve Eddy said:

Another approach would be to make a small round plate out of copper and solder a length of 12 gauge solid core to it and insert that into pin 1, which would provide shielding over the unterminated inputs.
se

Nice trick. But you must be careful with connecting if you have not groove on round plate for proper insertion. Or using XLR connector with pin 1 connecting to body ;) (bit more expensive)

TNT said:
Freinds !
You are on different kontinents. I thougth maybe Europe and USA connects XLR differently, no?

/

I work in past 15 years with professional equipment (for radio station, theatres, etc.) with brands like Sony, Tascam, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, ..etc; all have (regardless of the continent) same standard 2+, 3-,1 ground and XLR male for source, and XLR female for drain. Before ca 20 years was mess.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.