Nelson.. what are your current favs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
not to sound to cheesy or corny... but I owe pretty much the most of my hifi sickness to both my father and Pass.. to make a long story short, my family was lower middle class.. and my father spent 15 years bulding a 2 channel room and during that time saved for years to buy a used S/500.. man I can remember the day that thing arrived and the many years that followed of sitting next to him listening to music..

fast foward to today.. and I am in the early stages of starting my own boutique loudspeaker company that specializes in making 1 of a kind pieces...

So my question is, since you have had such a huge inpact in my audio life.. what drivers are your current favs?

thank you
Randy

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you are talking about "regular" drivers, then I would say it's
the SEAS "Nextel coated" series W22, W18, and so on up to the
Crescendo tweeters. Take a look at the SR1's at www.passlabs.com

If you are talking about "full range" drivers, it's the Lowther PM5A
vs the Feastrex D9nf. I have them in open baffles with 15" woofers,
also OB. I haven't had the time lately to pursue comparisons beyond
this point on these two, but I think it will come down to taste.

A close contender is the PM4A, but the one I had used the older
whizzer - PM4A with the "rolled edge" whizzer might take the Lowther
prize. The PM6A comes in close enough, considering the much lower
price. All the Lowthers are the 16 ohm versions.

After these, it starts to go downhill for me, although there are many
fine drivers out there, and you know your taste may not be the same
as mine.

:cool:

Nelson Pass said:
If you are talking about "regular" drivers, then I would say it's
the SEAS "Nextel coated" series W22, W18, and so on up to the
Crescendo tweeters. Take a look at the SR1's at www.passlabs.com

If you are talking about "full range" drivers, it's the Lowther PM5A
vs the Feastrex D9nf. I have them in open baffles with 15" woofers,
also OB. I haven't had the time lately to pursue comparisons beyond
this point on these two, but I think it will come down to taste.

A close contender is the PM4A, but the one I had used the older
whizzer - PM4A with the "rolled edge" whizzer might take the Lowther
prize. The PM6A comes in close enough, considering the much lower
price. All the Lowthers are the 16 ohm versions.

After these, it starts to go downhill for me, although there are many
fine drivers out there, and you know your taste may not be the same
as mine.

thanks for taking time to answer sir.... I'm currently building a set using the normal W22,W15,milleniums.. and agree both them and the nextels are great drivers

And future plans for a Lowther/Lambda set is already been talked about... I guess I'm heading in the right direction.. :cool:

Thank you!!

:D

Randy,
You've opened a great thread, and Mr. Pass has responded with his totally unassuming answers.
I guess I'm being pretty selfish asking these questions but I have thought of trying the FR driver direction but have been leary of the claims of some people talking as if the only true midrange is with FR. I have a system using Seas Excel/Millenium which is pretty much tunable in the Xover but I still wonder if I'm missing something. I've seen the PM5A in conversations on the forum but wonder if that's where I should start my journey. I am a retired person, naturally with limited income, but still am able to justify the expense because music is,and always has been a huge part of my life. Your opinions are important to me more than you might imagine.

Bill

Thanks Bill... yeah it's real cool when you get to have dialogue with an Icon....

in regards to the FR argument etc... All applications have their pros and cons... and it boils down to implementation... the coherency you get right out of the box going FR is addicting. But can be accomplished going the tradtional route.. it just takes time and effort..

Here is a link to my thread in regards to my SEAS build... maybe it will give you some inspiration...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140701

They both make fine drivers, it's all in the implementation. I built a couple of Lynn Olson's ME2s a few years back that use the SS 2905s I think, great midrange and very fine top end. The Seas Excel/Millenium are every bit as pleasurable but are extremely touchy to cross over. Never the less, the Seas are my favorites right now.
I still would like someone to recommend a FR driver to give me a taste of the single driver magic, if that's the right description. I listen mostly to all kinds of jazz if that would influence a possible recommendation.

Bill

Dansk said:
Offcourse they are. They're danish!!!:D

-Well, actually (being serious) I believe the Revelators are better than the Seas-units.

:)
very interesting thoughts. being in audio and spending some seriuos time(7000hours or so)on listening and tested all posible(open to individual customers) and imposible(open only for OEM manufacturers) i can say few words about seas vs scan speak :)

after 2002-2003 years SS assembling quality went down quite a bit,also glue they using is very fine to work with(it takes about 18seconds to fully dismount surround and spider from basket) but has lot of flaws on excursion,sometimes deatach.
speaking about the sound of scan speak woofers almost ANY stock scan speak paper6.5inch midwoofers (from 1980 to 2009 18w iluminators) sound somewhat "calm", "warm and rich in timbre"(lots of low order HD). bass qty is one of the best in its class.

some seas midwoofes sounds opozite -quite lively at low levels,

scan speak manufacture what people want -lot of bass from small size. however they make MANY (scan speak have about 400diferent 6.5inch drivers on they clasic , revelator and iluminator base with exotic hybrid cones, 18w revelators which goes upt to 14khz and so on) really very diferent sounding drivers which is very opozite to stock scan speaks. some of OEM drivers have for example 96-98db/2.83v/m sensitivity (while stock units will fit in 86-88db/w/m range)

its not the best idea to start speaker with drivers.or with box. the best thing is start from.. xover. sounds crazy but knowing topology you can choose drivers which behaves what you want and will help you implement your vision of true sound.

wow... away for a few days and people start posting...lol

another reason why I ask, is that I know nelson gets cool new stuff thrown his way... I'm sure some are great... and I'm sure some are not so great...

I also figured Nelson would have played with AT drivers... for whatever reason when ever I see or play with AT I alsways think what they would sound like on some PASS amps :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.