Choosing Amps for a 5 Way Active Horn System - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2009, 06:33 PM   #31
KCCT82 is offline KCCT82  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DougL
The Firstwatt voltage amplifiers with the exception of the F4 all have enough gain to reach full output with 2 V rms that a sound card will put out.

My question to you is, what size is your room and what are your goals?
Doug
Thanks DougL,

There are 3 settings for the RME card's outputs:
Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19 dBu
Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

If I'm correct than the lowest +2dBV setting will only give me 1.26volts (RMS), will that be enough? I'm just afraid higher settings won't be good (assuming "gain" is bad, or RME's "gain" is bad).

The size of the room is around 800sq ft with 12.5ft ceiling. My goal is to have enough head room without creating unnecessary gain in the electronics. I don't care about MAX db level, I just want "enough" for 1 seat at 10-12ft away. By enough I mean full dynamic range of all kinds of music at healthy listening volume. Thank you~

Best Regards
Old 26th April 2009, 12:38 AM   #32
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Default Are you SERIOUS...?

I have seen some pretty way out concepts...but this takes the biscuit! If you ARE determined to do this and have the time and money and SKILL and KNOWLEDGE to make it work, then I will be the first to applaud and congratulate you. But in your first post you claim to have little expertise/knowledge..........

However, if you don't have all of these - but have the money, then go buy a speaker setup which really sounds truly great to you - like the best you have ever heard. After all, it can't sound worse than the stuff you were reared on. When did you last go to listen to LIVE music? And how often have you heard live music? Go and listen again and again and again.

What you propose - because of the number of crossover points, the number of driver units, the number of horns to be calculated and built - is frankly close to impossibility.

If you have already conceived, designed and built a 2 speaker/horn speaker that really works better than that which you can buy for $3000, and then a four....etc, you are either being quaintly funny - or .... well, whatever is the least offensive way of putting it.... BUT I SMELL RED HERRING.

Regarding amps, which after all is the basis of your thread, use good triodes, with inter-stage transformers aplenty, Telefunken/Siemens VT4c tubes (preferably ex. German WW11 Airforce or, better US Signal Corps Western Electrics.)

You will need a few of these amps but it should sound better than an Apple job in a dock. Shame you cant have it at home though.
Old 26th April 2009, 01:21 AM   #33
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

nahh , you're just beeing jealous .There is no 2-way which could provide unrestricted dynamic in that space. Not for $3000 and not for $30000. With $200000 (for speakers and amps) maybe.

Hide this!Advertise here!