High-rails Passlabs amplifier design ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2009, 05:24 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Chokes seem like a good idea till you figure in the cost of a pair
of sutiable chokes.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flg
I think an L input filter will give you .9 Vrms and 1.41 Irms
Wiki Who?

Please explain.

I've used this trick before.....I have even had this working against me once, I had forgotten about a removed cap.

Magura

EDIT: I have not read that particular Wiki page, so if it's dodgy, don't look at me
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woody
Chokes seem like a good idea till you figure in the cost of a pair
of sutiable chokes.

That's not so bad these days.

If you're on a low budget, wind your own.

Magura
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Bønna is offline Bønna  Norway
diyAudio Member

I was also wondering about the cost of such a choke.

However a very interesting and useful tip that will be tested Magura ! Thanks !

Regards,
Bjørn
Old 23rd April 2009, 02:15 AM   #15
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

I might be a little off on the I suggestion
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xfrmr supply topologies.pdf (37.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks flg !

These figures explains the topologies well.

It seems to me that all the choke topologies that gives a substantial reduction in Vdc utilises the centre tap of the transformer.

My trannie is 55-0-55 (0 on the centre tap).

My quick conclusion is that only the full bridge choke topologies (0,9xVac) will be of any use. Does it sound correct ?

Regards,
Bjørn
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:38 PM   #17
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have successfully utilized a choke input on a tube amp. I am considering it on a SS amp for the exact same reasons as the poster.

Putting a small cap (.01uf to 3uf) in front of the choke will vary to output voltage from .9vac to 1.4vac. I know this is not what you are seeking, but its cool to be able to "dial in" a required voltage with a cap on a choke input filter. Use PSUdesigner to check your design.

Is there a way to physically check your output voltage rails on a choke input without having the amp board connected? I know the Lcrit current is key here.

A load resistor of value X and wattage Y would be what I am requesting to test a desired +/-35VDC rails @ 6A Choke input power supply??
Old 24th April 2009, 10:05 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi John65b !

Isnt it a matter just applying ohms law ?

R=V/I=35V/6A=5,83ohm so you should look for a 5,6 or safer 6,8 ohm resistor from each rail to ground.

of wattage: P=V x I=35VX6A= 210W i.e. 250W

This will be a maxiumum load test of the supply, and for prolonged testing a more relaxed (higher) value of R must be chosen.

Please take reservation for my possible misunderstanding of your specs.

NB! Dont forget to attach your dummy load resistors to a big piece of aluminium, if testing for a long duration.
Old 24th April 2009, 10:35 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Bonna,
You have 6 transformers. You could parallel a couple of them to increase the current capacity. This is not a common practice but should work O.K. You could make several combinations from the 6 units or use one per channel.
Tad
Old 24th April 2009, 12:55 PM   #20
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Bonna,

Maybe I left out a little more info in my post -

I was wanting to ask if that test load resistor needs to be designed with respect to Critical Inductance, and not the 6A. The 6A was just the amp rating of the tranny. The amp draw of the eventual amp should be quite a bit less than the 6A...maybe half? I really don't know which amp it will be going into yet (but will be high current Class A)

From what I understand, the LC PS needs a minimum current that the at all times, or all hell supposedly breaks loose - really don't know what exactly happens - the choke starts to smoke, or the PS sees the choke as a short and your back to a C filter and the 1.414*Vac outputs.

Anyway, the bleeder resistor is supposed to flow this minimal current, and drain the cap at shut down.

So my question should have been, what minimum load resistor is required be to test a LC input PS, as I don't have a 250W resistor anywhere...?

BTW -

Lcrit = Vdc / Ima

where Lcrit is the minimum (critical) choke inductance, Vdc is the supply DC output voltage (35VDC), and Ima is the load current in milliamperes (guessing 3A).

So in operation:

Lcrit=35/3000=.0166mh, and I will be doing at least a 2mh choke, so for 3A draw, Lcrit is not an issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!