F1 and a passive preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the unique characteristics of the current source F1. Since I've settled on the F1, I am trying to figure out what the best pre-amp match would be for it. The B-1 is getting a lot of attention here, and has gotten me thinking about the possibility of a passive pre with the F1.

Anyone using a set-up with the F1 and a passive pre? Or does the F1 need an active pre which can provide some gain? Any thoughts, comments or recommendations are most welcome.

I may try a DIY preamp once my DIY F1 is done, but I'm also looking at pre-amps such as the Audio Alchemy DLC, NuForce P-8 and Papa's GFP-750 (which has an active-passive gain switch).

-Roscoe

preamp output impedance & F1 input impedance

The B1 has certainly caught my attention. Reading up on how it affects the impedance has left me with the following question: What is the ideal output impedance for an F1? F1 has an input impedance of 100 KOhms balanced and 50 KOhms unbalanced.

Just a noob trying to figure it all out and wrap my head around all the goodies discussed here (with good music on in the background, of course).

Just read this in the Enjoy the Music review of the F1:

"Keep in mind that the F1 sports a rather low input sensitivity and needs to be driven by a preamplifier with at least 10dB of gain."

Thoughts on this? Any one else find this to be true?

Looks like I may have a chance to compare active and passive with a GFP-750, which I will also be able to compare to a DIY Bride of Zen. I believe that the GFP-750 layout is from Papa's Bride of Son of Zen (BoSoZ), which Papa says he prefers to the BoZ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.