Other pre-amps by Nelson Pass (other than GFP750)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am looking for a pre-amp to match up with my Aleph 30.

I know the GFP750 is a good pre-amp and a good value.

What are other good pre-amps that were designed by Nelson Pass but sold under Adcom or Nakamichi etc.

Is the GFP710 any good?

I have a Welborne Labs Borbely designed linestage pre-amp but want to try a Nelson Labs designed product. I do not have the funds to buy a Pass Labs but would like to try something designed by Nelson Pass and possibly tweak it.

Any input or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kevin

I do not need any type of phono section.

Just a line level pre-amp with volume control and source switching for a few sources. I will primarilly use a CD player as a source and maybe an I-Pod dock if I can find one that sounds decent (maybe the Wadia one?)

I do not need any phase adjustment or mono option.

Cheers

Kevin

You are posting in a DIY forum so naturally the responses would would be DIY projects. The reason Mr Pass graces us on this forum is his never ending support for the DIY community. If you are interested in commercial products you time would be better in a forum that reviews commercial products. Most of us here only listen to what we build that being said my DIY Aleph 30 sounds pretty good on a XBOZ if I would make a new preamp for it I would go with the NS10.

Bill

wirewiggler said:
You are posting in a DIY forum so naturally the responses would would be DIY projects. The reason Mr Pass graces us on this forum is his never ending support for the DIY community. If you are interested in commercial products you time would be better in a forum that reviews commercial products. Most of us here only listen to what we build that being said my DIY Aleph 30 sounds pretty good on a XBOZ if I would make a new preamp for it I would go with the NS10.

Bill

I see your point.

My hobby is more upgrading/modifying competently designed consumer gear than building from scratch. It is building the chassis for DIY gear that i have a problem with.

All this being said, I think i am going to try the B1 Buffer.

Cheers
Kevin

The Xboz I am using is the twisted XBOZ , The B1 I have sounds very good, but it is a buffer with no gain, on my Aleph 30 I cannot push it to full output (though it gets plenty loud) and is single ended. The diy ns10 has been upgraded combined with the shunt reg I would think it would be a good mate to the Aleph 30. I was going to give it a go myself.

Bill

Hi Wirewiggler,

Thanks for the info. And what is it about the NS10 that makes you think it would be a good fit?

You mention the diy NS10. Are there PCBs for it floating around?

Will be getting a DIY BOZ from another DIYer, with the idea that I could then possibly use the chassis, toroid and ALPS remote control unit (!) with a circuit that I build...

There is a group buy for NS10 with shunt reg, kind of on hold for now. They seem to be of the same era, people get hung up on not using opamps but they can sound alright. I bought a relay volume control with source switching display and remote thought the NS10 would be a nice use for it with the Aleph. That being said I mostly listen to my Ballenced F4s with a Pumkin. Putting together a Impass to see how it sounds Tube pre versus JFET.

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.