Other pre-amps by Nelson Pass (other than GFP750) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2009, 03:34 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You are posting in a DIY forum so naturally the responses would would be DIY projects. The reason Mr Pass graces us on this forum is his never ending support for the DIY community. If you are interested in commercial products you time would be better in a forum that reviews commercial products. Most of us here only listen to what we build that being said my DIY Aleph 30 sounds pretty good on a XBOZ if I would make a new preamp for it I would go with the NS10.

Bill
Old 15th April 2009, 03:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wirewiggler
You are posting in a DIY forum so naturally the responses would would be DIY projects. The reason Mr Pass graces us on this forum is his never ending support for the DIY community. If you are interested in commercial products you time would be better in a forum that reviews commercial products. Most of us here only listen to what we build that being said my DIY Aleph 30 sounds pretty good on a XBOZ if I would make a new preamp for it I would go with the NS10.

Bill

I see your point.

My hobby is more upgrading/modifying competently designed consumer gear than building from scratch. It is building the chassis for DIY gear that i have a problem with.

All this being said, I think i am going to try the B1 Buffer.

Cheers
Kevin
Old 15th April 2009, 08:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

wirewiggler,

I'm curious about why you want to try the NS10 next instead of a more recent design?

I'm also curious why you originally decided on an XBOZ as opposed to SOBOZ or X-SOBOZ.
Old 16th April 2009, 01:53 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The Xboz I am using is the twisted XBOZ , The B1 I have sounds very good, but it is a buffer with no gain, on my Aleph 30 I cannot push it to full output (though it gets plenty loud) and is single ended. The diy ns10 has been upgraded combined with the shunt reg I would think it would be a good mate to the Aleph 30. I was going to give it a go myself.

Bill
Old 16th April 2009, 02:32 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Wirewiggler,

Thanks for the info. And what is it about the NS10 that makes you think it would be a good fit?

You mention the diy NS10. Are there PCBs for it floating around?

Will be getting a DIY BOZ from another DIYer, with the idea that I could then possibly use the chassis, toroid and ALPS remote control unit (!) with a circuit that I build...
Old 16th April 2009, 03:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

There is a group buy for NS10 with shunt reg, kind of on hold for now. They seem to be of the same era, people get hung up on not using opamps but they can sound alright. I bought a relay volume control with source switching display and remote thought the NS10 would be a nice use for it with the Aleph. That being said I mostly listen to my Ballenced F4s with a Pumkin. Putting together a Impass to see how it sounds Tube pre versus JFET.

Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!