Joined 2003
Paid Member
just go for it

amplifiers want to be made !

Attachments

• crazyrocker.gif
    crazyrocker.gif
    953 bytes · Views: 697
with the primaries properly wired up for the voltage supply you have the transformer is a 550VA.

If you wire the two 100Vac primaries in series and connect them to a 115Vac supply you reduce the transformer to ~300VA.

DON'T.

Fair point. I was applying Nelson's advice to get the right voltage without thinking about the power capacity of the primary windings. I guess I could use it that way with fewer transistors per side...maybe three or four?

Perhaps an alternative would be to series regulate it down to the required voltage? It would require a pretty hefty series transistor, I guess.

Can I raise the power supply voltage of BA-1?

I'm going to keep my BA-3 with its own power supply, so I'm only concerned about power to the output stage and bias boards.

I want to use my 27+27V transformer, which yields about 38V DC.

It seems that the extra voltage would not burn the power transistors, but I'm not so sure about the bias boards.

Any thoughts?

The output stage of BA1 works in pure single-ended.

With 0.58 A per MOSFET (6), the BA1 provides, with ± 32V, 50 watts into 8 ohms, 25 watts into 4 ohms but only 12 of 2 ohms, ...

Is there a "small" circuit that could push the output stage in class AB (in the style of the Aleph 0, 0s and 1), for at least 50 watts into 4 ohms and 2.

Regards

Darry

Hi Zen,
I am building a BA 1 I have the front end together and tested out ok,now I am confused at how to WIRE the output I got 2 identical boards for ba 1 output stage ,I don't know how to wire them up ,the diagram has 12 fets post#4 my boards have places for 6 so 1 board is N and the other is P correct so far ?can the outs from both boards be connected ? the way it looks they are jumper-ed over in the diagram ,maybe that's where I'm confused.
I would like a diagram or drawing of how to connect/wire them together,I am trying not to live up to my nick,lol Cheers!
Thanks,
No Smoking( a joke on burning up perfectly good parts.)

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
my boards have places for 6 so 1 board is N and the other is P correct so far ?

no no

its true for Nelson's original 'idea', and schematic
I reckon he had some very huge heatsink cooling in mind:D
meaning, any big ordinary stereo box with big double heatsinks could be used for a mono amp

but forum version in the store are designed differently
1 output board holds both N and P devices for a mono amp
a very practical solution for bridged setup where you need a complete stereo amp

looking at my own BA2 output boards from the store, outputs are clearly marked with either 'N' or 'P'

mathing resistors amp layout etc

Thanks,

How precise does matching have to be done? Would within 2 percent be sufficient?

Heres's another question

the idea is to build balanced version of ba3 to serve as frontend with powerstage of ba1 (thats the single ended version).

I will build two mono chassis. Each chassis has heatsinks on left and right side.

Am I correct saying that al upper side mosfets (from in fact two ba-1 powerstages) go together on one heatsink and al downside mosfets go together on the other heatsink?

Your advice is again much appriciated

Last edited: