Burning Amplifier BA-1

Joined 2006
Paid Member
cviller said:

Regarding the board layout, the question whether to include bias circuit or not has kinda postponed the updates. If the BA2 is essentially the same, but with a different bias arrangement it would be possible to make a "board sandwich" where the bias circuitry is a daughter-board on the general BA board.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on the output? Maybe an output board would be in order to make things tidy, then again, we probably need to space FETS out real good..

Tea-Bag said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on the output? Maybe an output board would be in order to make things tidy, then again, we probably need to space FETS out real good..

You're right, but here's where we need to figure out what to sacrifice - the Burning Amps chassises come with the fets and output boards already mounted, and the whole point of this amp is to fit into those chassises....

Who should we make an easy build for - the people with or without a nice burning amp chassis? :bawling:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
cviller said:
Who should we make an easy build for - the people with or without a nice burning amp chassis?

In the end, we will want to attract those without chassis. The chassis were
simply an excuse to do a project.

It looks like most of the BA designs will use the output stages as followers,
so it's practical to think of an outboard front end design. This modularity
will allow for easy swapping and upgrading of front ends.

:cool:

BTW, trying to finish the text on BA2 this weekend

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Putting the front end boards on the outside would be a simple solution
to your problem, Eric. You would need to put the bias circuits on the
inside on the output stage, and of course you would need the additional
connectors.

I don't recall, did you get the N and P channel or all N channel outputs?

:cool:

Nelson Pass said:
I don't recall, did you get the N and P channel or all N channel outputs?

Hi, Nelson.

I have two amps with twelve pairs per amp. One amp has all N-channel IRF240, the other has N and P channel IRF244/9240.

This is enough to make six amp channels with 3 N-channel pairs in each chassis. In other words, I could make six A5 amps, three per chassis. Four amps would be all IRF240, the other two IRF244. I'd have to move around the transistors in the N and P chassis and not use the P channel devices.

- Eric

Cooling the BA#1

Attachments

• blower.jpg
    blower.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,419