Burning Amplifier BA-1

For a low power application - say a tweeter amplifier in an active crossover system, would using a BA-1 output stage with only 2 IRFP-240’s be ok? Would it increase distortion if the current demands were low? I am thinking of making a 6 channel amp as shown below and want to know where I can cut corners to attempt to fit everything into a 5U 400mm chassis without overheating. Thanks!

1676339403888.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I am amazed that there is not more builds and discussions of this amplifier. Having built most all of the FW clones including both the SE and PP Vfet amplifiers this is one of if not the best sounding SE I have heard. This is with a single output board per channel and not the full blown one using 2 output boards per channel. Careful attention to matching the output devices is strongly recommended. I bought sleeves of 25 where you will get same production run enabling matching easier. This is an older design but it seems most gravitate to newer ones overlooking one of the best builds for diyer's. Currently I am listening to mine with W Colburn's linestage which is also a great diy project. Together they are wonderful sounding with a soundstage worth hearing. Believe me you will not be disappointed if you like the SE sound. This amplifier along with the BA2 are the only amplifiers one needs to build for excellent sound. I used the BA3 front end for both my builds.
This still covers your experience? Have any pics?

BBA-3 or pumpkin. Or maybe I slept through some of the FE’s :rofl:

Ahaa, now I got it. Is it the BA-1 FE sans feedback resistor, with approx 100db gain. He is going to drive 10 pairs of Maggie Tympanies. No problem even for normal speakers, just attenuate the input signal :devily:

Last edited: