Burning Amplifier BA-1

I want to make it there in 2013 ! If things coast along like now, it should be possible. If I come next time, I'll bring along some gadgets !:)
As usual I have to start planing much ahead of time so that a lot of things can be done on that trip. Maybe stay longer this time in Arizona and see some bright orbs in the sky !:D

I'm working on some ideas which might be interesting. Better to try it here first just in case they aren't worth it.

Are you guys comfortable for funds for the BAF this time ?
Cheers.

hardwire lay out for ba 1

hey, that is:cool: thanks Nelson
me like to hardwire that one :rolleyes:

:up::up::up: man you are fast :eek:

Here are two draft drawings for a hard wired BA 1

The upper and lower mosfets banks are on separated boards

It's a first draft and it is not doubble checked for errors or possible improvements in the lay-out

Comments or notification of errors are most welcom

Regards

Attachments

• ba-1 hardwired concept.jpg
    ba-1 hardwired concept.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 536
  • ba-1 hardwire ccs side Cconcept).jpg
    ba-1 hardwire ccs side Cconcept).jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 510
Looks good dude !
Nice 12" strip of 'Turret Board' eh?
Good stuff...
...Old Schooool !
Bo...Yah !

Jeez...One day I'll make one of these suckers !
Just caught up on the thread...
...can't quite believe this thread is ONLY 27 pages long...
...I swear the BA-1 and SOZ are the coolest ( NOT ! ) of Nels's 'hot circuits'.

I bet if Nelson got ship-wrecked on a desert island ( that had AC sockets ! ) he'd wish it was with a BA-1 or SOZ...
...I bet he's not letting on about that though...
...which is 'the best'...who knows.

Cheers

Si.

Zeners keep a specified voltage across them by transforming more or less energy in heat by varying their internal resistance.
Are used to regulate a voltage and protect some parts of the cisrcuit.
Of course their regulating ability depends on how much energy they can dissipate.

Please see in the Wikipedia a very good article on the matter.

Zener diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you mean D101 and D102? They limit the max G-S Voltage. Most of these parts have an oxide layer thick enough to withstand 20V before rupture (sounded good?) If this is a follower, the G-S voltage difference should be very small, certanley less thatn 9.1V? Actually, the FET would be turned on so hard if the G-S Voltage was 9.1V, you would be blowing a fuse if it was more than several miliseconds. I'll bet they also play a roll in softer clipping, than a cicuit without them?
:D

Help needed,

I´m building the ba/1 in a balanced version front wil be ba/3.
I have four transformers each of them 2x 18v 500va .

As I understand the origal powersupply schematic uses 2x 9V or 18 v with centertap.
I have four transformers each of them 2x 18v 500va
How should I apply my transformers.

Your assistance is much appreciated

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have four transformers each of them 2x 18v 500va
How should I apply my transformers.

that ought to work

with 2 trafos you can build two 'ordinary' stereo amps, and bridge them
or with all 4 you could build two 'dual mono' stereo amps, and bridge
both would give you two balanced mono amps

but its a funny question, considering the difficulty of such a big project :confused:

edit...... 2x 9V or 18V CT, I dont know where you got that from, and does not sound like what you just wrote..... 'have understood the original power supply schematic'...... :scratch:

sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh
but you are facing serious problems

pics of an experimental setup of one hardwired working BA 1 outputstage/buffer channe

Here are pics of an experimental setup of one hardwired working BA 1 outputstage/buffer channel. I had to try one first to see if there were no wiring errors .

Yet another 3 of these to go. ( these will have a little improved tidier wiring and some decent input caps)

No DC and no hum on the outputterminals.

I had hoped that my wadia 830 would deliver a sufficient amount of voltage but it doesn´t.

So I guess I will have to put ba3b in front of this.

Regards René

Attachments

• DSC_0237.jpg
    DSC_0237.jpg
    861.5 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC_0238.jpg
    DSC_0238.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 350
SE Burning Amp almost done

Hey everyone, I wanted to share some pics of a single ended BA that I am working on. I just fired it up last night, and had to change two fets that I mismarked when I matched them. Other than the heat, it is all good.

I know, the sinks are horizontal. It was a compromise, and I may compromise more because of it. Either by taking out pairs of fets or using R219(131).

The amp has +/_ 23.5 volt rails, using an antek 8420, 12 matched irfp040 per channel, all 1 ohm source resistors have .6v or so across them. Adjusting the offset was easy. After two hours idling, the sinks settle at 65C. I am going to play with R219 or R131 to see what happens.

Cheers

Attachments

• SE Burning Amp 1.jpg
    SE Burning Amp 1.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 320
  • SE Burning Amp 2.jpg
    SE Burning Amp 2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 320