Can I use the 2N5484 jfet diff pair in an audio amplifier front end?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guy,

I've been searching for alternative jfets, in case the 2SK170 becomes scarce--and for the shear fun of trying something new--and because I'm a tightwad on a budget. Ok, the last item should have probably been first in line. ;)

I tried simming with a replacement from the SIMetrix library: 2N5484 was the first in line, so I gave it a go. I had to reduce the current, but it seems to sim nicely.

Anyone ever try this approach?

I've been scouring over my folder of "Choky" stuff. I reexamined the pumpkin (got to build that someday) and noticed he's using the J309.

That, of course, gave me the proper search word for DIY Audio. Within seconds, I had a long list of posts to read. It seems the J309 and it's J310 sibling are making more than one owner happy.

Off to Mouser I went. They have the J310 going for the ridiculous price of $37.00 for 500 pcs. I'm going to give it a go. I can match transistors and build amps until the moon falls from the sky at that rate.

;) :D

> If you don't mind going surface mount, the BF862 is recommended by Scott Wurcer.

Also by me. ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...443#post1774443

> How do you solder surface mount components? It seems like a daunting task...

I bet in 5 years you would have no choice (especially with digital), so you better start practicing. There are enough hints on the forum, e.g. by John Westlake.

> You really ought to start a DIY web site.

Until I retire, or you volunteer to do it for me ?

;)

Patrick

I'm too busy working on my own site to expand. But, if I had the time, I certainly would help.

Weebly.com is free and easy enough to use. Just think, you can post a blog (they offer one for free) and tell the world all sorts of amazing things.

Your archive is already stored here. So, either way, I suppose we're safe and sound.

I'll get going on that surface mount stuff. Assuming I'm still here in 5 years...;)

I am still scratching the surface on audio, and there hasn't been much interest in the stuff I have posted (not that I am bothered).

not true Patrick--I always like to see what you have to say!

Carpenter-

For what its worth, I have built with J105's and other Vishay jfets. The circuits have always sounded very good. Perhaps not quite as good as a Toshiba part, but they are still orders of magnitude better than most of the hifi components I own. (especially preamps.)

JJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.