X-150 distortion problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having an unusual distortion problem coming from the left channel of my Pass X-150 amp. (I have eliminated the problem being on any other component). On acoustic piano I notice a mild but noticeable distortion coming from the midrange . Kind of like if a paper clip hit the strings of a piano while playing. This does occur on other CDs and is most noticeable on acoustic piano. A breaking up sound but doesn't seem it be an output problem, because it happens at all volumes and dynamics. I sent the amp to Pass a couple of years ago to have input caps installed since I was running a tubed preamp. Could it be an input cap that is bad? Any help before I have to pack it up and send in? I would cost a bit to send it since I am on the East Coast. (Delaware)

Thanks!! - Jeff:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have you gone through the exercise of tracking the fault back?

Like this:

First test the speakers by switching the cables to the speakers left for
right at the speaker. If the fault changes channels, then the problem is before the speaker.

If not, then go up the line and switch cables left for right at the output
of the amplifier. If the fault changes channels, then the problem is
before the cable.

If not, then go up the line and switch cables left for right at the input
of the amplifier. If the fault changes channels, then the problem is
before the amplifier.

And so on.

:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.