Zen-lightenment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of my favorite suppliers here in the US is McMaster-Carr Supply; they produce a 3000+ page cataloge of industrial hardware. I've been in their plant and can report that all cataloged goods are in stock, with repair parts, something like 350K items. Lamps and sockets should be no problem.

Service is excellent, and they are happy to ship anywhere in the world. They can be found at www.mcmaster.com.

Attachments

• passlite3_sm.jpg
    passlite3_sm.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 338
Wow, nice ZEN lite!

It seems that halogen bulbs are more appropriate for us on the other side of the pond....

BTW, just yesterday I completed a ZEN-lite, in a wooden case, with ceiling halogen bulbs. I used 3 pieces, 12 v, 20w in series per channel. Unregulated power supply, 48 v, CLC filtering (Only around 50, 000 uF pr channel:( ). Got about 1.85 A of current. The voltage accross one bulb around 9v. With six of them( 2 channels), it is quite bright so in the evening I can turn off the lights in my room; ZEN is bright enough:cool:

Why Zen-lite now? In fact, I was attempting to build an F2, but didn't like the result. It was showing signs of instability, some weird noises from the loudspeaker when no music was playing. Then I "converted" it to a basic ZEN schematic, but with the lightbulb as a current source...(now it works fine)

I hope to "upgrade" this circuit to something better, an F3 or just a cascoded Zen, using another mosfet, but I have to solve some issues first:

Problems:

1. I have to add a turn-on thump blocking circuit; at the moment I am shorting the input manually when powering it on.
2. Heat: While two mosfets are mounted on a decent heatsink, halogen lamps release pretty much heat on their back, which are inside the enclosure. So I am keeping the cover open, but I am thinking of adding a fan.
3. Noise. Transformer (600 w) is quite noisy. Enclosure is resonant; I feel as if I mounted a tranny inside an acoustic guitar:dead:

If I don't manage to solve these isses, maybe it will just be "forgetaboutit" thing...

At least, it was fun...

Ah, pics.... I don't have a digital camera, but I will post some pics here as soon as I borrow one...

Regards,

Vix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.