Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2009, 03:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Default Who's got some spare cash for me??

Drool over this you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/Threshold-Mon...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers George
Old 6th March 2009, 08:55 AM   #2
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Maybe the happy winner could send me 1 or 2?

Old 6th March 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
vizion is offline vizion  United States
diyAudio Member

This one is $148,000 used.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....e-NL-Reference
Old 6th March 2009, 10:29 PM   #4
gl is offline gl  United States
diyAudio Member

Threshold or not, the price strikes me as being a bit steep considering the age of the units - even for just one let alone this many.

GL
Old 7th March 2009, 02:24 AM   #5
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

OK, I have to ask... I love good sounding music, BUT can an audio system REALLY sound worth $148,000, or even $21,000 . I'm open to hear what others say, but I have a hard time believing that $21,000 will bring a person an audio experience worthy of that investment. Although I make a decent living, that much money is WAY beyond what I could ever let myself consider. Again, I'm open to hear something worth that much. Maybe I need to hear one to understand, but I just don't see it.
Anyone with that kind of system near North Dakota willing to educate me???
Mike
Old 7th March 2009, 04:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

There are two things that often become intertwined in peoples' minds as one question:
1) Does it sound different? (In this case, the presumption is better, obviously.)
2) Is it worth the money?
In this case, you have stated the second question explicitly, and I'll assume that you mean it literally--that the first question isn't lurking, hidden, inside the second.
A meal can be had for free if you're willing to get it out of a dumpster. If you posit that the dumpster is directly behind the restaurant that made the meal you can have a direct apples-to-apples comparison between the free version and the one you pay hard currency for inside.
So they're the same, aren't they?
Well, yes...and no. In the case of the dumpster meal (let's say for the sake of argument that the restaurant sells fast food), it started out pretty close to identical to the meal you'd buy inside. The same meat in the hamburger patty, sourced from the same vendor. The same brand of mustard, squirted on in the same amount. The same sesame seed bun bragged about in the commercials. So it's the same.
Only it's not, is it?
The dumpster burger is cold and the grease has congealed. The person who originally bought the thing added, for reasons we shall never know, an entire pack of salt to the thing. Then there's the vinegar that dribbled on it from the salad thrown on top of it in the trash.
And let's not get started on whatever germs the person might have left behind...
Okay, so a fast food burger doesn't sound particularly appetizing to you right at this moment. How about the steakhouse a block farther down the street? No dumpsters this time. Inside, fresh, hot off the grill, served with garlic bread and a baked potato. Sound good? It does to me, but then I'm a meat-n'-taters kind of guy. But what's this? It costs five, maybe ten times as much to eat a steak?
Waitaminnit! What kind of racket is this?
It's just nourishment, right? I mean, really...why should a steak cost more than hamburger? The meat comes from the same kind of animal. In fact, it may even have come from the very same animal, just a different part. But it costs more.
Why?
Answer that question, and all the implied ones that come along with it, and you will have at least the beginnings of an answer as to whether an audio system that costs $1000 is any better than a table radio, whether a $2500 system is better than the $1000 one, and so forth.

Grey
Old 7th March 2009, 09:12 PM   #7
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by mikje
but I have a hard time believing that $21,000 will bring a person an audio experience worthy of that investment
That price is for 12 monoblocks, at approximately $1800 each.

Old 8th March 2009, 01:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Had I not spent the day replacing the pump in my well (140 feet deep...and I have to pull the critter up by hand...man, I'm gonna be sore tomorrow) and all the attendant aggravation and expense, I'd offer to take 2 ch at $1800 ea. Can't even build the damned things for that, hardly...especially w/chassis.
(But I might feel the urge to...um...fiddle with them. Got some ideas that might fit into a chassis that size. [Maybe.])
(No, I've not given in to the impulse to modify my S-500s. The quarter-Farad cap bank I've mentioned elsewhere is not currently in use and with the exception of servicing a channel that went down once upon a time, they're exactly as they were when they left the factory. Yes, even the PS caps...)

Grey

P.S.: Nelson, I'm drinking Californian tonight: Whitehall Lane Cabernet '96. Signature or whatever they call their uppity, hoity-toity line. Thirteen years old and it's about as ready as you could ask for. I've got one more bottle. Need to drink it while it's at/near its peak.
Let's hear it for California Big Cabs...
Old 8th March 2009, 03:19 AM   #9
amp_guy is offline amp_guy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vizion
This one is $148,000 used.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....e-NL-Reference
from description in audiogon " output 24 npn bipolar transistors"
you got to be kidding me $148,000 for a lousy quasi-complimentary design? Edge gear is impressive looking I'll give it that
Old 8th March 2009, 03:52 AM   #10
Gabdx1 is offline Gabdx1  Canada
diyAudio Member

Also lot of power... like 100 amps is like OMG, you need a dedicated second house power line just for it)

I bet my amp power supply is better and my amp has better specs... but just imagine 100 amp power it must compensate somewhere
Why not?

Grollins : you make me totally jealous... how do you store you wine???

Here in Ottawa wine sucks! Its very expensive and no place to store it... I have nice 2006 coming this summer; ill have to drink it all in one or two months ((((

Hide this!Advertise here!