JFET's ready for abuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, how do we get around keeping these little critters cool?

A respectable copper base seems to do the trick.

A little DIY reflow soldering and some machining later, I got this:

Magura :)

Attachments

• pict0541scl.jpg
    pict0541scl.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,912
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

If there is enough interest, I will consider the possibility to make a larger run of them.

So far I have just made 18, and from those, I have a need for 8 of right now, so that doesn't leave many for the greedy boys :xeye:

well - you always know where you can send two pairs of these nasty blocks ;)

(just joking , I'll made my own )

describe your way of soldering little critters to blocks , without escape of precious white smoke ?

I haven't tried any soldering on these JFETs yet but on a daily basis I do such things with similar devices to heavy copper PCBs. Low Temp solder paste is the way to go. For something like the I-Pak I would typically use an air pre-heat stage wich is entended to heat the PCB area up, from the under side, to about 125C over 2-3 minutes. At that point I would put the air pencil to the device and surrounding area from the top side. The paste I use has a Liquidous state at about 140C(Sn42/Bi58). The pencil is ussually set to about 380C but there are alot of variables involved like distance from the device, flow rate, etc. You can watch the paste flow and get molten after about 10-20 seconds. Generally you need a tap on the top center of the device to push down and squash out excess solder and voids and you're done!
Chances are the device would not see over 175C
:smash: :smash: :smash:

flg said:
I haven't tried any soldering on these JFETs yet but on a daily basis I do such things with similar devices to heavy copper PCBs. Low Temp solder paste is the way to go. For something like the I-Pak I would typically use an air pre-heat stage wich is entended to heat the PCB area up, from the under side, to about 125C over 2-3 minutes. At that point I would put the air pencil to the device and surrounding area from the top side. The paste I use has a Liquidous state at about 140C(Sn42/Bi58). The pencil is ussually set to about 380C but there are alot of variables involved like distance from the device, flow rate, etc. You can watch the paste flow and get molten after about 10-20 seconds. Generally you need a tap on the top center of the device to push down and squash out excess solder and voids and you're done!
Chances are the device would not see over 175C
:smash: :smash: :smash:

Exactly, this is done on daily basis, nothing new, risky or fancy. This is a well tested, everyday manufacturing principle.

The only news to this, is that it's been done successfully, with relatively low-tech machinery.

.....and naturally the fun of being able to push the limits for the Lovoltech's a bit ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.