What phono stage for aleph p1.7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2009, 08:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What phono stage for aleph p1.7

Hello

Anyone with ideas on the best way to play my MC phone through this great preamp that im building

Any ideas welcome

Cheers
Old 20th February 2009, 09:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The obvious candidate is the Pass Labs Ono.

Grey
Old 21st February 2009, 12:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Grey!

Well just had a look at the ono schematic, Well this will keep me busy building this as well, hoping to test my newly purchased LP collection a little sooner, guess Ill just build the MC.
But hey good things take time.

Cheers.

Q:Anyway of increasing gain enough on P1.7 to act as phono........ to drive my ax-100s ? only to I get ono built
Old 21st February 2009, 01:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Phono stages aren't just about gain...you've got to apply the RIAA EQ too, and that makes life more difficult. The quick-n'-dirty way to get an Ono is to build a Pearl.

Grey
Old 21st February 2009, 02:41 AM   #5
nate is offline nate  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a ton of info (as well as kits if there are any left..) on the pearl- I've been running one for a couple years now and I really have enjoyed it. I added the MC boards when I bought a Shelter MC and then I eventually added a second MC input option with a pair of Lundhal step up transformers. The kit was pretty easy to build and performed really well from the start- with the exception of a grounding issue.... but this was my fault.

imho, this is one of the best projects out there: really exceptional performance, reasonable cost, and a readily available kit.

best of luck
Old 21st February 2009, 07:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nate!
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

No prob!

Just keep us posted on your progress. Also, with the outboard MC boards you will have a TON of gain for all but the lowest of the low output boards. The other option that I hinted at was just using the pearl (which is MC only) and then adding the step up of your choice- while expensive I really prefered this option.

Best of luck!
nate
Old 25th February 2009, 02:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

A little confused.

So the Pearl sounds like the MC phono stage I want to build, which uses the ONO MC stage? Is this correct.

So just what is the Pearl, Ive found this.
So is this the Pearl and the MC stage and all I have to do now is just find the Power circuit.?

The pass site on this pearl has closed down. So information is all over the place. Can someone help me out on this.

Cheers for any advice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pearl-1 update.pdf (85.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 25th February 2009, 04:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here are the two threads that have the most info-

Pearl MC Pre-Preamp

Pearl phono PCBs Group Buy

It seems some of the semiconductors are getting difficult to find...??

Have fun!

I just built an Aikido preamp and the next project on my list is a Aikido phonostage-

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aiphpcb.html

Nate
Old 25th February 2009, 04:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

To clarify your previous post-

The Pearl is a MM phostage only. There are the additional MC "add on" boards that piggy back onto the pearl. The MC and MM board combo is pretty sweet and it comes with dip switches to change input impedance and another to switch between two sets of inputs (one for MM one for MC). If you have a low, med, or high out put MC, you can adjust the gain of the MC stage with a couple jumpers which is also cool.

Nate

Hide this!Advertise here!