What phono stage for aleph p1.7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Grey!

Well just had a look at the ono schematic, Well this will keep me busy building this as well, hoping to test my newly purchased LP collection a little sooner, guess Ill just build the MC.
But hey good things take time.

Cheers.

Q:Anyway of increasing gain enough on P1.7 to act as phono........ to drive my ax-100s ? only to I get ono built

There is a ton of info (as well as kits if there are any left..) on the pearl- I've been running one for a couple years now and I really have enjoyed it. I added the MC boards when I bought a Shelter MC and then I eventually added a second MC input option with a pair of Lundhal step up transformers. The kit was pretty easy to build and performed really well from the start- with the exception of a grounding issue.... but this was my fault.

imho, this is one of the best projects out there: really exceptional performance, reasonable cost, and a readily available kit.

best of luck

No prob!

Just keep us posted on your progress. Also, with the outboard MC boards you will have a TON of gain for all but the lowest of the low output boards. The other option that I hinted at was just using the pearl (which is MC only) and then adding the step up of your choice- while expensive I really prefered this option.

Best of luck!
nate

A little confused.:confused:

So the Pearl sounds like the MC phono stage I want to build, which uses the ONO MC stage? Is this correct.

So just what is the Pearl, Ive found this.
So is this the Pearl and the MC stage and all I have to do now is just find the Power circuit.?

The pass site on this pearl has closed down. So information is all over the place. Can someone help me out on this.

Cheers for any advice.:)

Attachments

• pearl-1 update.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 117
To clarify your previous post-

The Pearl is a MM phostage only. There are the additional MC "add on" boards that piggy back onto the pearl. The MC and MM board combo is pretty sweet and it comes with dip switches to change input impedance and another to switch between two sets of inputs (one for MM one for MC). If you have a low, med, or high out put MC, you can adjust the gain of the MC stage with a couple jumpers which is also cool.

Nate

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That's odd. I could be wrong, but the last Pearl board I saw was a
mono channel and it had space for parallel Jfets that I don't recall
in the MM stage.

No matter. Wayne has been threatening an update for a long time.
I think Colin has convinced him that the Pearl needs to be offered anew.

Of course Colin happens to need a new phono stage, so the motive
may not be completely altruistic.

:cool:

nate said:
To clarify your previous post-

The Pearl is a MM phostage only. There are the additional MC "add on" boards that piggy back onto the pearl.

I ran a lyra dorian in my pearl with more than enough gain, and quiet too. I was asking on the VE boards, but what exactly is the gain on the pearl? The article is confusing as there are two gain stages, and the RIAA network should result in negative gain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.