Antek 4218 suitable for F?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning on ordering at least 2 Antek 4218 400VA 18-0-18 for building Cviller's and Peter Benchley's F5 Clones as stereo amplifiers.

Would this transformer be suitable for F1, F2, F3, or F4 as a stereo amplifier? I will order more to save on postage if they are appropriate.

vonfilm said:
I am planning on ordering at least 2 Antek 4218 400VA 18-0-18 for building Cviller's and Peter Benchley's F5 Clones as stereo amplifiers.

Would this transformer be suitable for F1, F2, F3, or F4 as a stereo amplifier? I will order more to save on postage if they are appropriate.
I am using the AN4218 on my stereo F5 and it seems to be working great and is quiet. I also have Plitrons in my stereo F4's, though I believe the Antek would work just as well in those. I don't know much about the F1,2,3 so will defer to those with experience on them.

Just for your information: I tried to order 2x 4218 from Antek on Monday, they were out of stock. John said they expect to get them back in stock in 2 weeks. I guess a lot of people have used the group buy code (GN8128) for the discount. John gave me a great price on a 6218 (600 VA, 18V). So I will be using one big trans on my F5 (balanced). John at Antek is a pleasure to work with.

JimS

Re: Re: Antek 4218 suitable for F?

tms0425 said:
I am using the AN4218 on my stereo F5 and it seems to be working great and is quiet. I also have Plitrons in my stereo F4's, though I believe the Antek would work just as well in those. I don't know much about the F1,2,3 so will defer to those with experience on them.

Any reason why you didn't reuse the Plitron in the the F5?

I'd really like to read a serious review comparing the Plitron to the Antek to in the F5 by someone who does some listening for subtle differences.

Re: Re: Re: Antek 4218 suitable for F?

labjr said:

Any reason why you didn't reuse the Plitron in the the F5?

I'd really like to read a serious review comparing the Plitron to the Antek to in the F5 by someone who does some listening for subtle differences.
I still have the F4's with Plitrons and didn't want to part them out as I use them daily. I didn't buy new ones because of their stupid policy and have been very happy dealing with John at Antek now.

I may still try some comparisons but only with the variables controlled properly, with a clear understanding of what we're actually trying to evaluate.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Antek 4218 suitable for F?

tms0425 said:
I still have the F4's with Plitrons and didn't want to part them out as I use them daily. I didn't buy new ones because of their stupid policy and have been very happy dealing with John at Antek now.

I may still try some comparisons but only with the variables controlled properly, with a clear understanding of what we're actually trying to evaluate.

I was hoping someone would evaluate and report any subtle differences in sound.

I'm on a tight budget and can't just buy one of everything to try so I splurged and bought a Plitron because I know Nelson has a golden ear and most likely made parts choices he thought made the amp sound best.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
vonfilm said:
It sounds like the 4218's would work on the F4 and F5. How about on the F1, F2, and F3?

vonfilm, I use the Antek 4218 in the F2, and it doesn't seem to flinch. Its a big meaty looking tranny compared to the Plitrons 300va standard. Of course that doesn't mean it's better. The F2 boards run very hot, so Imagine it's pulling down a good deal of current. I have mine biased at 14v.

How much is the discount for using the (GN8128) code? I am in Canada and piltron is nearly twice the price af Antek. I would like to go with Antek, but I have heard of big duties at the border. Also, Plitron has the 300VA 230V on discount and I need four so the price difference is even less.

Any info on what extras I will have to pay for crossing the border and the discount at Antek would be appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.