Once I had a A-40...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello.
if you like it perhaps you can build it - schematic,layout and so on are still available..............
i used tip 141/ tip 146 for output transistors (offset about 22mv) and i reduced the biascurrent a little bit ........
greetings.............

I am in the process of building an A40 now. I tracked down all of the original parts including the output xsistors and the Signal 88-8 pwr xfmr. They will still make one for you on special order.
It's going into an old Sumo Andromeda II chassis, the heatsinks are just about the perfect size according to the equations in an old Audio Amateur article, the same issue the A40 came out in I think. Standard Radio in NY has the Lambda xsistors, .68 Ohm 1 Watt 1% WW Dales, the MPLSxxs too. Going to try and use a 1N530x in place of the FET. Can't wait to hear it, this project is way overdue.

Craig

I built my A40 in 2007 and still using it. A40 is a very good sounding class A power amp. It replaced my classic Pioneer M22 in my stereo system

Attachments

• RIMG0622.jpg
    RIMG0622.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 587
  • RIMG0623.jpg
    RIMG0623.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 568
Those circuits are constructed such that if you interrupt just
the positive rail, they will go into DC offset at the output. If
you interrupt just the negative, they will sit there quietly,
like good dogs.

:cool:

Mr. Pass,

I found in simulation that turning off the +supply of an Aleph also makes it sit there (quietly like a good dog) with very very low DC offset. Is this true in a real circuit? If this is so, then this is a good way to keep an Aleph on standby...:spin:

BTW; I read this in another tread: "I couldn't tell from the pictures but are your heat-sinks grounded to their chassis and are the amp chassis grounded to the power supply chassis? Nelson made it a point in the original article that the heat-sinks must be grounded."

My A40 has no grounded heatsinks. What is the benefit for doing that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.