F2 running hot(how hot is hot?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
i just got my hands on a F2 clone. It gets very hot, mutch hotter than my old A-40(mutch bigger sinks). I can put my hand on the top-plate for maybe 20 seconds before it gets too hot.
Is this too hot?
I tried to search the forum but did not find an answer that cooled me down.
Where should i measure the heat and what temperature is "safe"
I am a newbie in ss classA.
Thanks
Aron

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Aron said:
Hi,
i just got my hands on a F2 clone. It gets very hot, mutch hotter than my old A-40(mutch bigger sinks). I can put my hand on the top-plate for maybe 20 seconds before it gets too hot.
Is this too hot?
I tried to search the forum but did not find an answer that cooled me down.
Where should i measure the heat and what temperature is "safe"
I am a newbie in ss classA.
Thanks
Aron

Papa use to say - skin is your best meter ;)

if you can rest your palm on hsink for 5 secs , everything is OK ;

then temp is around 50-55C

The test Zen Mod mentions works well. I also have a friends perform the same test when they came over to listen. Group consensus is the shortest duration was 6 seconds and the longest was 12 seconds after 2 hours of use. Averaging nearly a dozen "hand tests" came to 7 seconds.

Over three years and my A30 is still running strong.

-David

Joined 2006
Paid Member
lets see a pic of the sinks.

this sucker produces a lot of heat. I use 2 12" X 6" per channel. One sink per FET. The power resistors inside can roast a small cornish hen.

If it runs a little too hot, you may be able to put some CPU sinks on the inside and bond them (permanenty) using thermal epoxy.

If you can place your hand on the top of the heat sink after 1 hour, then 2, then 3 hours and you and your friends can touch it for more than 5 seconds - you should be within range.

As Tea-Bag suggested, post a picture of the heat sink if you still have questions.

BTW, I believe these power mosfets need to run hot to perform best. It is possible to over heat sink as well.

-David

Re: Re: F2 running hot(how hot is hot?)

Zen Mod said:

Papa use to say - skin is your best meter ;)

if you can rest your palm on hsink for 5 secs , everything is OK ;

then temp is around 50-55C

Hi!
I removed my hands after 10sec and could hold it longer. I am a chef and are used to burning my hands. I guess the amp is in the safe zone. I´ll roast a friend and see how long he can hold it. Will post back with pictures if it fails the test.
Thanks everyone responding to my question.
Aron:cool:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My F2 measures 53C and it feels hot enough that you really don't want to keep your hand on it longer than 2 or 3 seconds :bigeyes: , but you don't want to look like a wimp, so you hang on for about 5 and cry about it when nobody's looking :bawling:

but it's those 1 ohm resistors you really need to stay away from - I measured those as high as 83C :hot: :hot: :hot:

who would be foolish enough to stick their hands in a running amp you say? Why the fool who needs to adjust it after it warms up, that's who :cannotbe:

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Don't you remember this?

:smash:

Attachments

• how hot.jpg
    how hot.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 330
I find its good to measure the packages them selves to see if they are about the same. On a channel of my Aleph 30 i had one device which was not torqued down enough and was running HOT HOT. Only picked it up with an infra-red thermometer. A quick nip up and it was running within a few degree's of the others.

Caution!
The F2's extraordinary heat is partly caused by Q1's source resistors. They run really hot, and doesnt influence the heatsink temp. that much!! A well ventilated enclosure, is highly recommendable. Depending on the particular build, you might want to drill a few holes in the top/bottom plates. ( Yep, I build one;) )

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.