F3 Builders Thread

Well, that's interesting. Hours after posting here the UPS man arrived with my left and right channel boards. EuroCircuits sent out 4 instead of 3. (Is it normal for them to send extras? This is only my second order from them, but the first one didn't have any extras.)

Anyway, assuming they check out this means I could have two sets available....
I'm interested. Let me know does it works.?

I'm trying to figure out if I got the orientation of P1 right.

P1 is used to set the output DC to the midpoint of the supply voltage. From a cursory examination of the schematic (attached), it looks like R6/R7/R8 + R12/R13/P1 act as a voltage divider, and that increasing P1 would therefore increase the output DC.

But the resistances of the R12/R13/P1 half of the voltage divider are way too high for that.

Looking at it some more, I think the "real" voltage divider is R12 + R13/P1, and that it's setting the gate voltage of Q2. In that case increasing P1 will increase the the gate voltage, opening the drain-source channel more and exposing the output DC more to R3/R4/R5, which will lower the output DC.

Or is there a third explanation that I'm still missing?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Attachments

• F3 schematic.jpg
    F3 schematic.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 570
I measured my JFETs on a breadboard with 22awg hookup wire and got results somewhat higher than expected.

On a hunch I measured them again with mini-grabber test leads (18 or 20awg) and got numbers some 80mV lower (and in the expected range).

The 22awg wire wasn't heating up, and over a couple of inches it should be only a couple of miliohms. That doesn't seem like enough to slant things; are the breadboard connections a more likely culprit?

This first picture is just the overall setup so you can see the power supply and metering connections:

attachment.php

Here is the breadboard setup (heatsink removed for clarity):

attachment.php

... and the mini-grabber setup (showing the heatsinking that was used in both):

attachment.php

The devices measure consistently in both setups; the numbers just don't agree between the two. If it were a dodgy connection, I wouldn't think it would show repeatable results?

Anyway, do the pictures give any clues?

Attachments

• JFET measuring1.jpg
    JFET measuring1.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,225
  • JFET measuring2.jpg
    JFET measuring2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • JFET measuring3.jpg
    JFET measuring3.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 720
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think (hope?) I'm getting near my final board layout.

I've changed the output caps since the big Panasonics are NLA: I'm using a pair of Wurth 8200uF electrolytics and a Mundorf 8.2uF polypropylene jelly roll.

I've also added a film cap (6.8uF polyester) to the Cmultiplier output.

630266d1502726013-f3-builders-thread-f3-legend-jpg

630265d1502725832-f3-builders-thread-f3-layout-jpg

Nice artwork!

I'm busy designing the same kind of PCB's for different project in KiCad, and must also have a different left and right channel. Did you make the two channels from scratch and separate? Or is there something smart to do with flipping or mirroring and adjust the boards for pin-outs?
I have the right channel ready, but figuring out how to save work to make the left channel :)
Walter

Hi Walter,

I did my left and right channels from scratch (although using a single schematic file).

If you use a lot of zones you can make a copy of your right channel, Flip your zones to the opposite side of the board, and then do a Duplicate Zone onto Layer to get them back onto the correct side but mirrored. (You'll then need to delete the "extra" copy of the zone on the wrong layer.)

I suspect a block Mirror command wouldn't really help much as it would be harder to adjust for all the rotated footprints when all the tracks were there but in the wrong places.

I'll think about it some more, but even if I have an epiphany I won't be able to get it in soon as we're in feature-freeze for 5.0 right now.

Cheers,
Jeff.