My Zen V4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the Zen V4 !!! Thank you to everybody for your help !!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 849
I use a two way speakers from Solen design !! I don't know the "real" effcacity but is is about 89 db I think ! The sound is good with the Zen V4 but I have NO control in the bass, if I compare to my tube amp, it is bad !

I didn't make an pi filter.... but I have nothing in the speaker, no noise at all, it is the silence !!!

but it is surprising to don't have noise without coil ??

but it is surprising to don't have noise without coil ??
Actually a lot of people use it but according to the article you might get away without unless your speakers are very efficient.

I´m still thinking about building the ZenV4 but am worried about my 87dB speaker efficiency and you just confirmed that you bastard.;) :bawling:
Probably build it anyway cause I have the parts it needs around.
Some people do biamp with the Zen but I actually like it simple.
I can´t imagine what it sounds like having no control about the bass. Is it like a spongy bass or..?

Regards
Jens

Jens - in need of some bass too

Thanks Till for some positivity about the design.
But as I´ve seen in other threads you really can´t complain about having speakers with too low a efficiency!?

Still the simplicity is what attracts me and one day I´ll build it.
Or maybe an Aleph would suit my speakers more....

And yes the coils are for the high frequency dirt, the regulator should keep a lot of the 100/120Hz stuff away.

Regards
Jens

Jens - thinking about what to build until he has got the money for an X1000 :cloud9: ;)

Yes, since today i can´t complain on to less efficiency. But i have some less efficient speakers still in use. I don´t know the numbers but they use isophon PSL155ALU compound, so they must be around 87dB/1W. I used them with all three Zens i build until now. It was ok with Zen V4. High frequency dirt: in audio range? or higher? Zen V4 on the isophons (+ eaton tweeter): dead quiet. On the TL1601a: also. On the TD2001, with BOZ volume full i can hear something like noise when ear on axis 50cm in front. Volume low: dead quiet. So it seems to come from another source than Zen. I don´t see problems, or say i don´t experience them. If you think you need more power alephx shoud be right. I will build one when i have enough money for heatsinks and transformers (again) since the TADs were a little to expensive for my usual financial situation. So larger projects have to wait.

arold19,

I wonder if it would be better to mount those blue capacitors standing on it's base rather on it's side? Perhaps they were too tall to be mounted standing up?

I have an impressive heatsink collection that you can see on my website link icon below - so plans of a balanced zen v4 will be in works say... 7 months time when i'm on my next round to New Zealand.

BQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.