ImPasse Preamplifier

SY said:

No, I haven't. The straightforward way worked so well, I was hesitant to use my limited bench time to get fancy.

ah, ok. well, perhaps Jack can ensure that the MOSFETs are placed at the edge of the board so one could try and heat sink them externally and play with this (or add small clip heat sinks). Also, I think the gate stopper resistor should be as close as possible to the device, Jack.

I'm assuming you're going to share the boards when it's all said and done? :) :) If not, pardon my presumption!

I think the series resistor placed between the CCS and the plate has some positive benefit beyond taking up part of the heat dissipation, which I explained in the article. Since the voltage amp's load is (essentially) a cathode follower, it doesn't need to have a particularly low source resistance. As designed, the source resistance is about rp for the 6SN7. The bandwidth limitation is the input transformer, not the voltage amp.

Well, you can fit the transformers on the board, but it makes it somewhat ungainly looking -- the Sowter's have 3 pins and (apparently) no connection to the can, while the Cinemag's do have this connection. I am going to allow for inclusion of the transformers, but will put some slots so that the board can be snapped apart.

Could someone identify the 4-pins on the Cinemag transformers. I have the PDF, but am not certain which connects to the shield(s).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well, I'm talkin' to myself here -- have not heard back from the folks from Cinemag regarding the pins for their transformer so I am making a guess -- the PCB can be snapped along the side if (like me) you want to mount it in a PAS chassis, and mount the transformers on the back wall.

As it stands now, the board measures 7.500 x 3.500

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.