Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

ImPasse Preamplifier
ImPasse Preamplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2018, 07:09 AM   #1201
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

ImPasse Preamplifier
Much like my Impasse, I always try to use an immense chassis, why not? it makes everything better and easier!
I love my Impasse with the F-4, but am very interested in your comparison with the BAF-3 pre as I'll be making one of those at some point..

Mark
Old 18th March 2018, 10:34 AM   #1202
lehmanhill is offline lehmanhill  United States
diyAudio Member

Beautiful! The lettering is especially sweet. And everything so neat inside.

Looking forward to hearing your results. It should be an interesting listen.

Jac
Old 18th March 2018, 05:04 PM   #1203
drpro is offline drpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks all. A visit to a local trophy shop for the lettering. Very reasonable, plus I learned of another technique they use for lettering most any object, UV printing. Capable of printing in different colors and in the case of lettering on this type of project, should last for a lifetime. I'm going to try it out on the next project.
Definitely will be giving these pres a listen through the F4s and Mofo for comparison.
David
Old 18th March 2018, 06:03 PM   #1204
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

SY tells me he loved it!
Old 18th March 2018, 06:07 PM   #1205
diyAudio Member

Please thank him Jan. A fun project (my first tube one) and it really plays well with the Pass F4 amps. Listening to it now.
David
Old 26th March 2018, 11:44 PM   #1206
lehmanhill is offline lehmanhill  United States
diyAudio Member

Default OT Quad Resistors

We had discussed Quads earlier in this thread. For those interested, I have put up a thread that pulls together performance data for Quads compared to other resistor technologies. At low resistance values, it turns out that power distortion is the biggest area of improvement. That's less so at higher nominal resistance, but still an interesting technology.

The thread is in the Parts Forum under the title;

Quad or Series/Parallel Resistors as an alternative to traditional power resistors

Jac
Old 27th March 2018, 06:23 AM   #1207
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpro View Post
Please thank him Jan. A fun project (my first tube one) and it really plays well with the Pass F4 amps. Listening to it now.
David
You can tell him yourself, he'll appreciate that:

SYclotron Audio |

Jan
Old 16th April 2018, 04:45 PM   #1208
diyAudio Member

This is one person's thoughts on the AKSA-Lender, the Nelson BA-3 and the Yaniger ImPasse preamps. The amps being used are a pair of bridged Pass designed F4. The F4 amps need a preamp with a larger output voltage than most preamps can deliver. The three listed above are capable of the necessary output.

My first DIY build began in 2014 was the BA-3 followed by one F4. I liked that combination so well I build another F4. The ImPasse was something I wanted to try and finally late last year purchased the boards and input transformers from Jack. Then Hugh delivers his AKSA-Lender preamp to the community and I wanted to try it also with the F4 amps.
Please keep in mind these are my thoughts using this three preamps and your listening experiences will vary, due to variances in the builds, your listening space and choice of speakers.

My BA-3 build uses a single toroidal transformer into a Salas shunt regulator. The BA-3 has genuine Toshiba transistors and I am using 10uf Mundorf SIO caps on the outputs with Goldpoint pot and selector. Using the P3 adjustment, the second harmonic has a negative phase. The AKSA-Lender was built from the BOM listing from that thread. I chose R9 for a more dominate second harmonic. Finally the ImPasse was also built using the BOM from that thread. I did do some tube rolling, started with Electro Harmonix and really didn't like the sound. Finally ended with some NOS RCA and Amperex tubes.

I am using a Pink Floyd song from their 1973 album "Dark Side of the Moon". That song is " The Great Gig in the Sky". The instruments are a piano, Hammond organ, pedal steel guitar, bass, and drums. The main vocals are supplied in an almost orgasmic way by Clare Torry. Her wailing reveals much about the preamps. Also I listened to the live version of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" from the album "Concord on a Summer Night".

BA-3 preamp
A nice wide sound stage, with the pedal steel guitar coming more from the right side. Good depth with the vocal and drums coming from the rear. Cymbals are crisp. In the second set of vocals distinct sounding. The piano sounds very smooth and rounded. There is a nice sonic balance with the bass.

AKSA-Lender preamp
Also a wide sound stage. The pedal steel is not as defined as the BA-3. Cymbals have a nice sizzle. The Hammond organ is distinct and the vocals are more forward sounding. Drums are also very defined.

ImPasse preamp
Another wide sound stage. The piano and pedal steel are well defined. Vocal appears from upper left with the bass more defined. Cymbal also with nice sizzle sound. In the second set of vocals there is a nice balance with the piano. For me the vocals were not as clearly defined as the two solid stage preamps.

Finally the question would be which is best/sounds better, etc. For me there is a personal enjoyment when listening with each preamp at different times with different music. Ok, my order of preference would be the BA-3, AKSA-Lender, and ImPasse. I believe both solid state preamps have a slight edge over the tube preamp. Finally if you want to look at cost and versatility then the AKSA-Lender has both of the others beat for price and convenience. In my opinion it offers the most bang for the money.

So final thoughts, any of these preamps would be great with the Pass F4 amps. My wife and I for the past twenty years have been involved with retired racing greyhound adoption. In that adoption world, there is a catch phrase that is applicable to the DIY audio world. It is "they are like potato chips, it's hard to stop with only one". True for the greyhounds and so true for the DIY audio world. All I can say is build and enjoy.
Thanks
David

ImPasse PreamplifierHide this!Advertise here!