cc-x-bosoz dead wtb: matched irf610

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All And happy new year!

Ive managed to blow a channel and am trying to fix it. I was rewiring the audio connections as they werent soldered connections. Upon doing this I noticed I had cascoded one channel and left one uncascoded. I thought I would cascode the other channel but then realised I didnt have the irf610's to hand . so I decided to remove the cascode on the other channel. Upon removing the components
( see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=638685#post638685 ) I noticed I had had irf9610 in there ! but it had been working!

so all this is bizzare but upon removing these bits I shorted a 1000uf capacitor too the heatsink of one of the fets I was removing. I think this damaged something as now the channel sucks all the voltage out of the rectified psu It connects to. Im not sure what is bust I just know that when connected and turned on the voltage of 60v drops steadily untilI turn it off! This blew a resistor in the psu and killed a zener, which I replaced.

I would like to get hold of some matched irf610 as these are the more easily damaged parts and the others components look ok and test ok where possable to test.

So If anyone has any matched irf610 ( I only need 2 too fix but may be interested in more ) or any idea of what else the probled might be that would be amazing!

If you read all of this you are a star!!

Dave

dhole said:
Thanks for reading JJ . Yup I was thinking that as I matched the original ones. Ive ordered 25 pretty cheap. I am gonna replace all the parts slowly as thats the only way I can diagnose myself. What would you do ?
dave

Well, I'm not JJ, but the simple solution to find errors, without having to understand the circuit, is to compare the components of the channel that works, by measuring them, with the dead channel.

Magura :)

What would you do ?

Test the PS with a 5W resistor (I think you need a 600 ohm or so, but you can calculate it based on the current draw).

But, yes, as Magura pointed out, just replace the FETS. That is a pretty cool, it would be pretty easy to put some Jfets in there.

I built a cascoded BZLS with jfets as the input and IRF610's as the cascode devices. I couldn't hear any difference over the all mosfet version though. But keep the cascodes.

What are your rail voltages, and was there a circuit posted for that board?

JJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.