The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Question.

Well then, I have a "Off Topic", question. I just received an Onkyo M-559 amp from a fellow in Europe. I was told it was variable voltage. As in, "with a switch". Including a choice for 50Hz, 110V.
No switch, "Unless it's on the interior.". And the rear of the amp states, "60 Hz, 220V". Does anyone have any experience with this? I did a quick search on-line and Amazon came up with a simple plug-in adapter. It cannot be that easy can it??

Yes, It was "supposed", to be a M-507. what came was a M-559 which actually is as far as I know incredibly rare, "A good thing". A brother to the M-509 but sent just to Europe, so all I could find was not in English. I have a M-5090/P3090 also with the selectable voltage that only went to Germany. Had the same problem. They are so rare here no one seems to know. The "vintage Knob" had a little info and it's way old. This is the first time I ever received one that looks dedicated to 220v. The plug on the unit actually say's 250V but That is probably a max rating.

pics

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• m557 4.jpg
    m557 4.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 125
  • m557.2.jpg
    m557.2.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 128
Shouldn't be all that hard to find a schematic of the Integra M-5570 or M-5590
(never heard of an M-559)

The M-5570 and M-5590 aren't that different.
The 5590 (200W continuous power in 8 ohm) has 3 pairs of output devices (plus 10.000uF/90V electrolytics, the M-5570 (170W in 8) has a pair of output devices less plus about 10lb minus in weight.(and 9000uF/80V caps)
Regular Onkyo power amp models in these parts in the late 80s, a lot more affordable that the M-507/M-509 (and let's also mention the Onkyo beast of those years, the Grand Integra M-510, retail of 20K to the last penny in cheesey bucks at the time of release.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
At first glance I thought that pic of under the binding post said 2.4 ohms, not 2: 4 ohm speakers,

what;s written on back pannel is that you can use speakers of impedance of 4 Ohms and upwards , when using A section OR B section

when using both sections in same time , speakers can't have lesser impedance than 8 Ohms , simply because they're connected in parallel , that way

regarding xformer wiring - you need to be able to determine are there two section in primary ..... meaning - to compare schematic with in vivo situation; if you're able , then I can post appropriate details from schematic taken from HiFi Engine

Hee hee hee, Yah, I noticed "after" I threw the pic up. Go figure.
Two sections in the primary? Do you mean are they truly wired separately? as in Parallel or series? I am NOT an electronics guy. I did pass those classes though. A long long time ago.........
Like I was saying earlier, all I could find on-line with the amp was in German I believe.
And no schematic.
Thanks for the help though Zen.
I appreciate it.

as in Parallel or series?.

Onkyo power amps came as UD (120V), UG (220V) and UW (switchable 120V or 220V) versions.
Your M-5570 looks pretty much identical to an M-504, the image of the fuse holder pcb you posted even has the same number printing as the one of the M-504.
(makes the M-5590 identical to an Integra M-508)

A service manual of a UG version of the M-5590 can be downloaded for free on the web, schematic of the powersupply shows single primaries.
Your M-5570 is also a UG model.

Jacco? thanks. I'm just gonna ask, can I just put a 220 male end on it, combine two circuits of different phase in the box and plug it in? Do the transformers care if it's 50 or 60 Hz? And it does indeed look just like an M-504 inside. Ya think they just bumped the caps to get the 200 WPC rating? Kinda like what Nakamichi did with the Nelson Pass Pa-7?
At least that is "my" understanding.
Also your saying the M-508's are basicvally an M-5090? Which means the M-509's are a different animal?
And would you happen to know? I have read in a few places that the M-509 was the same, "exactly" build wise as the M-510 except for the power supply. BUT the M-510 didn't have that "special" servo cable. Also I was reading that there was something in the M-509 that made it act as if the power supply And I quote; "The M-509 acts as if it's power supply is 100 times larger than it actually is". Would there be any truth to that? That was on the "Vintage knob" for one. I love those amps and have collected most of them. But mis-information is rampant.
Yes I know I ask allot of questions, And THANKS! to all that have helped. If there's anything I can help you guy's with just ask. I import allot of gear, Find stuff that others can't. Have it serviced and then flip it for fun. That's how I get to try all kinds of gear.
I am also "trying" and am actually partially successful "as of now:", developing some speaker systems. Speakers that sound WAY expensive. That are just, Hee hee, Expensive. "Quality materials are never cheap"
Zen Mod? I see no other taps on the transformers. And "no", I am not very skilled electronically.
It turns out Mister Pass isn't my long lost father after all. "Sigh"......