The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Just back from 2 back to back BBC4 broadcast of Pink Floyd
Get this from best stage in the world PS BBC is wrong saiing San Marco Square they where on a series of bargess about 200 meters from square.
And did sound realy good as my litle bro told me as he was there in a 24 footer

The Square iself is prety crap acousticaly.
Pink Floyd - Live in Venice (Full Version) - YouTube

I may even mannage to meke it there for this comming Redentore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3hw2DqcOfg&feature=related

Last edited:
I saw this film back when I first came to live in England - back in the early 1970s. I must find a DVD and have another look.

I have forgotten the detail but remember the strong impression it left of the plight of the victims of the lack of interest in progress in any aspect of healing or care of such people.

More recently I have come across several people who suffer from dementia. At last real progress seems to be in the offing. Possibly because the long term care of these unfortunates has proven to be far more expensive than working on prevention or cure.

As a young man part of my duty was to visit on a weekly basis a mental hospital in Ireland. Some of the cases were the usual diseases such as schizophrenia and dementia. Others were far more frightening in that these were the few very seriously deranged people who had, then, to be kept under lock and key - often permanently restrained in straight-jackets. Some of these were so physically distorted that they appeared to belong to a different species. [Many of these were the product of inbreeding and had never enjoyed anything approaching a normal life.] Nowadays most of these people would be living in our more accepting general society with their condition controlled by pharmaceuticals.

Let us hope that progress in treating all forms of mental disease and distress accelerates at an even greater rate than hitherto.

On A serious note
I See you Brianco.

There is quite a loot that can come up from post like yours.

Pharmaceutical company that hide cure as is inexpensive.
Psychotherapy based on book written by a possible patient (relationship with close family members of other kind)
Inbreeding
Sane people who would be confined to hospital as they disagree with society (big one in Ireland)

The movie (and it is one to watch) skips over same of the details regarding the bunch of inmates EG. Is not till later that most of them confess to be there voluntarily.
There is a lot in the book in regard to the character that in the movie is (and quite brilliantly executed) left to images.

Quote >
Chief Bromden: The novel's half-American Native American narrator has been in the mental hospital since the end of World War II. Bromden pretends to be deaf and mute, and through this guise he becomes privy to many of the ward's dirtiest secrets.[4]
As a young man, the Chief was a high school football star, a college student, and a war hero. After seeing his father, a Native American chieftain, humiliated at the hands of the U. S. government and his (white) wife, Chief Bromden descends into clinical depression and begins hallucinating. Soon he is diagnosed with schizophrenia. He believes society is controlled by a large, mechanized system which he calls "The Combine."
End Quote
As a college student he studied electrical enginnering

All this is in the book
The real story folow up on this
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a direct product of Kesey's time working the graveyard shift as an orderly at a mental health facility in Menlo Park, California.[2] Not only did he speak to the patients and witness the workings of the institution, he took psychoactive drugs (Peyote and LSD) as part of Project MKULTRA.[3] From this, he became sympathetic toward the patients.[4]

The novel constantly refers to different authorities that control individuals through subtle and coercive methods. The novel's narrator, the Chief, combines these authorities in his mind, calling them "The Combine" in reference to the mechanistic way they manipulate and process individuals. The authority of The Combine is most often personified in the character of "Nurse Ratched" who controls the inhabitants of the novel's mental ward through a combination of rewards and subtle shame.[4] Although she does not normally resort to conventionally harsh discipline, her actions are portrayed as more insidious than those of a conventional prison administrator. This is because the subtlety of her actions prevents her prisoners from understanding that they are being controlled at all. The Chief also sees the Combine in the damming of the wild Columbia River at Celilo Falls, where his Native American ancestors hunted, and in the broader conformity of post-war American consumer society. The novel's critique of the mental ward as an instrument of oppression comparable to the prison mirrored many of the claims that French intellectual Michel Foucault was making at the same time. Similarly, Foucault argued that invisible forms of discipline oppressed individuals on a broad societal scale, encouraging them to censor aspects of themselves and their actions. The novel also criticizes the emasculation of men in society, particularly in the character of Billy Bibbit, the stuttering acute who is domineered by both Nurse Ratched and his mother. These and other interpretive threads are synthesized and analyzed in Peter Swirski's "You're Not in Canada until You Can Hear the Loons Crying or Voting, People's Power and Ken Kesey's One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".[5]

Back on topic

c2c watch out Brianco watching you (and me)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
c2c watch out Brianco watching you (and me)
"Jesus, I must be crazy to be in a loony-bin like this." J.P. McMurphy

Guesssssss whooooooo???? :D:D:D

Attachments

• TJ - at wedding - small.jpg
    TJ - at wedding - small.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 76