The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Helps covering up key scratches...... :rolleyes:

One is beter leaving key scratches where they are so neigbours see scratch and do not bother doing new one.

Waxing car has has higly terapeutic value + handy kung fu training.... vax on vax off.:whacko:

and stop bird pu from fading already orrible color which othervise fade real quick (at least on standard Audi free colors as I have not tried any of the optional extras)

Birds like red cars a loot and would cover them in presents whith a factor of 3 to one if compared to black car.

I know this as in the last month I have been compiling a statistic:crazy:

Next month I will be compiling statistic about wax :crazy:
R222® Online UK Shop - Full Product Range & Fast Free Delivery

By the way I have found this quite entrataining
The Night Sessions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read first 2 in November last 3 on their way from Amazzon (missed out on £3.50 sale in Tesco) yup part 4 of 3 again as book 3 is in 2 books.

Did you see the telly series ( above avverage actors especialy Imp is realy good + hot bits are much hotter than the hot bits on any other series I have bothered to watch)

Nah - I'ma real mutt - Irish (25%) English (25%) Sioux Indian (12.5%) Spanish (12.5) German (12.5%) Bohemian (12.5). My new found sisters and I are gonna run some DNA to find some more roots 'cause we still don't know where great-grandparents came from..... :rolleyes:

Many years ago my Mother was talking with a friend about this ancestry thing.

My Father overheard and advised them to leave it alone as he believed that tracing a family tree led to the inevitable conclusion that it was not very long since one left it! ;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Many years ago my Mother was talking with a friend about this ancestry thing.

My Father overheard and advised them to leave it alone as he believed that tracing a family tree led to the inevitable conclusion that it was not very long since one left it! ;)

When I wuz 3 y/o daddy went out "to get a pack of smokes" and he never came back. No one from our family or his ever heard from him again and after two years they had him declared legally dead. Last August I discovered a half sister and in November discovered another half sister and found out that he lived until 1996 - and the saga continues....:scratch1:

Similar happened a friend's wife whose mother had a breakdown and she was adopted. Many years later she found that she had a twin sister! They eventually met up and all was well. The mother eventually remarried but having had her children adopted would not meet with them. M considers her adoptive parents as her real parents.

I am pleased that you are meeting your long lost family and hope that it is a pleasant experience for all of you. Are they also wackko dummies?:) Do any of them know anything about hydrolics?:p

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am pleased that you are meeting your long lost family and hope that it is a pleasant experience for all of you. Are they also wackko dummies?:) Do any of them know anything about hydrolics?:p

Brother-on-Law Kevin and I are audio whakko's - but he gets to play with really BIG toys....... Photo Gallery ? Coherent Design

I played around yesterday with a preliminary tonearm concept based upon Golden Triangle and came to the conclusion that it's garbage. But I had sum fun figuring it out. So I can toss that one in the bad ideas drawer and move on to anti-gravity devices with internal guidance systems. :crazy:

Attachments

• golden_ratio1.jpg
    golden_ratio1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Triangle Tone Arm Design V1-0 17 May 2010.gif
    Triangle Tone Arm Design V1-0 17 May 2010.gif
    22 KB · Views: 59
Course it vont work bearing are upside down + stay avay from matching or exact products of base lenght.

Golden ratio prety much close to it also known as Harmonic Ratio get you loads of harmonics + Fibonacci did not have a clue about sound systems.

It helps a lot if you can stick the routh of minus one and 42 (most important fortytwo) some vhere.

so assuming arm lenght is 42 units then work out proportions of system based on 1 2.16 2.93 or up to 1 2.22 and 3.04

Joined 2006
Paid Member
It helps a lot if you can stick the routh of minus one and 42 (most important fortytwo) some vhere.

so assuming arm lenght is 42 units then work out proportions of system based on 1 2.16 2.93 or up to 1 2.22 and 3.04

I appreciate that info Bksabath - and will see if I can apply it. I've come to the conclusion that the best tone arm is no tonearm, but that still leaves you with all of the problems caused by cartridge design and the stylus to grove interface, needle drag, cartridge housing resonance, - crap - I guess I will have to design my own fiber optical cartridge along with the other stuff too.

BTW - is that little bit of knowledge about 42 units published or referenced somewhere I can see other than lifting up your skull cap?:D:D:D

I did come to the same conclusions as you about golden ratio = massive resonance problems - not to mention the mass and initial moment of inertia with that thing - but I learned from it - and it didn't cost me a penny. I might wind up with an air bearing arm yet - but would rather not if it can be helped. :crazy:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Looks to me as though the recent posts about Avro Vulcans over influenced the design parameters, whilst the bearing looks more like a water stop valve!!:rolleyes:
Just a simple linear slider similar to what used on camera rigs - just need to trim down the mass of the thing - (by about 75%)

c2c, you really must keep these other interests separate in your mind.;);):p:p

With only two brain cells kicking around inside of my dome there is a lot of room to play in. With all of the spare space up there they like to play handball with ideas and so I get things flying around up there all day long. It's when they keep me up at night banging things around that it gets to be a bother. :D:D:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
How about a water bearing parallel tracker? Has a few advantages. Jacco should be able to help...he is as far as I remember...a Naval Architect. [At least he appears from his posts to have extensive experience of contemplating navels!]

Dykes - he plaz with dykes...... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have thought of a water and oil slip and slide thingy plus some PTFE tape - but dirt and dust are a problem. Taking a look at hovercraft thingy's now.

All I need to do is "borrow" idea of noise cancelling headphones from Boze to make noise cancelling tonearm and the active suspension tech from Cadillac Magnetorheological damper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Bob's your Uncle.... :whacko::whacko::whacko:

The headphones are cheap but fitting a Caddy "A" arm onto TT is gonna be difficult..... :D:D:D

Last edited:
Dykes - he plaz with dykes...... :rofl::rofl::rofl:.........................................

Is that where you find the hole, shove your finger in and then saw off your finger to ensure that the leak is permanently fixed? J's recent finger problem must have occurred on a day when he forgot to take his tool-kit - and had no saw with him. His liking for rubber clothing has just become understandable.;);)

BTW - is that little bit of knowledge about 42 units published or referenced somewhere I can see other than lifting up your skull cap?:D:D:D

I did come to the same conclusions as you about golden ratio = massive resonance problems - not to mention the mass and initial moment of inertia with that thing - but I learned from it - and it didn't cost me a penny. I might wind up with an air bearing arm yet - but would rather not if it can be helped. :crazy:

Just goggle up Douglas Adams you will find that 42 is the answer to the most important question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number).

Air bearing = Boring + one need compressor = noise or Air botles I was wondering how long standard ones from SCUBA shop would last but as those are rated at 200 bars 3000 PSI one would need proper compressor although maybe old fridge compressor can do part of the job

Would she prefer small compressor or air bottle hidden somewhere in her Kitchen?
Even thinking about soda stream kind of botles Sodastream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
But would CO gas be a bit bad for sound and send one to big sleep?

PS. really nice tread about pretty decent one somewhere here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/134869-diy-air-bearing-tangent-tone-arm.html

Stick to antigraw.
(one reserves the right to use spell cheker from time to time but antigraw suggestion would be antigay so I skipped this bit of it )
Got same parts on order for that so you better be quick

Although I made up the bit about 42 and not forgetting square Roth of -1
Which is an Imaginary Number (Me think the brain cells in charge of doing lap lace died long time ago to much wiz sorry to say)
I am surprised how one can be so dumb to dwell on golden anything when dealing with sound.:D

Got my first parcell from big book order today
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Ptavvs

Yuppie first edition SFBC152

Last edited: