The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Strange thought for the day today - well of course I have many more strange thoughts - but I should not post such things on diyAudio.....:whacko:

Attachments

• Chinese married couple.jpg
    Chinese married couple.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 102
sum guys said that my speakers look like rubbish.

Oh, i don't know, can you show us a picture of them ?

(As a cat, i know how it's like to go to the dogs. Couple of years ago, i said i never wanted extra live-ins again : no entrance party, no parting pain. That's when Harry took over the place, for a year. Vix's was a kamikaze cat, i think)

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Oh, i don't know, can you show us a picture of them ?

Using derky ESS Heil AMT1 from 6.5kHz up and mid woofer modified for use as quasi Walsh driver from 26Hz to 6kHz - 1st order xover with a single cap to the Heil.

(As a cat, i know how it's like to go to the dogs. Couple of years ago, i said i never wanted extra live-ins again : no entrance party, no parting pain. That's when Harry took over the place, for a year. Vix's was a kamikaze cat, i think)

I've hadda couple of kitty's in my time as well. One old Persian that wuz a rescue case only wanted to lay in lap and get her ears scratched - it was a very sad day when she passed on as well. It can be hard to have the little buggers around because you know you are gonna out live them and will have you heart hurt when they leave but I believe that in that old saying "it is netter to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". Without love life can be pretty empty. ;)

Attachments

• Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Mamboni Pattern Stage 1.JPG
    Mamboni Pattern Stage 1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube small px.jpg
    2 Mambonied Pioneers 1 Heil and a bunch of SonoTube small px.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 78
Joined 2006
Paid Member
They're just jealous. :)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi Cal!!! Yeah - I guess they just don't understand what prototypes and screwing around with things is all about. Just having some fun with some Heils I had laying around and saw that old Mamboni thread a couple of years back. They are great for HT because of the omni pattern, which is exactly what I wuz after. I never did get around to making a "pretty" version because that's about the time we took our granddaughter under our wings and I haven't had a spare dime since. One offfffff thezzzzz daze tho I will get back around to them - and about 4 or 5 other projects too!!!:D:D:D:D

Try as I might - I still haven't had any offers on the GD.......

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes but on the bright side, without love there's plenty of time for speakers.

And let's not forget; without love there's money too! :)

If u r a good lad I won't show that post to your spousal unit!!!! :D:D:D

BTW - one of the real secrets to those speakers if the micro fiber sound absorbing material used to deaden the Sonotube and minimize effects of sound reflections from surrounding walls and furniture.

I am well aware that it strongly resembles a hunka carpet remnant - but don't let that fool you!!!! :Pinoc:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
and this one :

(Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood every night )

Dirty Harry theme song - YouTube

Now ya are gonna have BOTH of those guy's looking for you!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Just got back from taking SWMBO to tooth doctor - who did magic dance and now toothies are better and she is happy girl. But in keeping with Cal's line of thinking the $$$ just spent coulda purchased some really nice speakers!!!! :D:D:D Probably a nice TT toooooo. :cool:

Last edited:
I too am sorry for your loss c2c......Lots of wild boar in Heaven so she will be able to hunt to her hearts content. Grieving such a loss is necessary. Forget the stiff upper lip and let it hurt as that is the best way of coming to terms with loss of loved ones.

==================================================

I see that you have posted a pic of a Wishing Well or two and with that suspended psychic microphone you can get your wishes to the leprechauns without interference from the thoughts of others.;)

Have you thought of standing in front of one of them and wishing for a pair of proper speakers?:p:p:p

I've been away again - ferried by ambulance - to hospital (no bill is presented) where I was attended by no less than 7 baby doctors (mainly girls) as the hospital is part of the Edinburgh teaching circuit.....6 cardiograms during last night, loads of blood taken and then sent home again with no sleep for 27 hours. [Not a serious matter, just a bout of arrhythmia again - they insist that I go in as there is a stroke risk, albeit at low level.
I took your paper to read but they confiscated it as they were afraid that it could bring on an attack of hydrophobia.:rolleyes:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I too am sorry for your loss c2c......Lots of wild boar in Heaven so she will be able to hunt to her hearts content. Grieving such a loss is necessary. Forget the stiff upper lip and let it hurt as that is the best way of coming to terms with loss of loved ones.

I let the tears flow like rain because as you say it is the best way. It gets the emotions released instead of staying bottled up inside. So - I had some good crying sessions and now am feeling very much better for it. ;)

I see that you have posted a pic of a Wishing Well or two and with that suspended psychic microphone you can get your wishes to the leprechauns without interference from the thoughts of others.;)

Have you thought of standing in front of one of them and wishing for a pair of proper speakers?:p:p:p
I lived for many years in Sacramento Cali where ESS wuz at along with Dr. Heil and knew a few folks over at the factory. So I bought those for sentimental reasons because I have always liked the way they sound. I can listen to that transducer for top end for hours on end and my ears never get tired. Horns and metal domes make my ears tired after about an hour.

I've been away again - ferried by ambulance - to hospital (no bill is presented) where I was attended by no less than 7 baby doctors (mainly girls) as the hospital is part of the Edinburgh teaching circuit.....6 cardiograms during last night, loads of blood taken and then sent home again with no sleep for 27 hours. [Not a serious matter, just a bout of arrhythmia again - they insist that I go in as there is a stroke risk, albeit at low level.
I took your paper to read but they confiscated it as they were afraid that it could bring on an attack of hydrophobia.:rolleyes:

Wifey haz been through that and more - hada "maze" procedure on her aorta, a mitral heart valve repair, pacemaker put in, and bunches of pills and medications. So I have a pretty good idea of what you are going through and wish you all of the best for your recovery!!! :D:D:D

Is justa goofy paper anyways - ya should see the ones I am playing around with now. :cool: