The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

food that be of topic topc then.

Evil tatters alla bksabit
gently fry onion and mixed peppers for color ad spices tumeric paprica and habanero cilli (habanero is pretty strong but does not leave unplesant after taste or post rednes just to stay on topic with other topic
one is plenty, maybe ad a few tomatos
why is this English ?
because while pepper and spices turn in to nice litle sauce one is to boil few spring potatoes
once tatters are soft trow them in pan with saucy sauce
turn heat up and get tatters sligtly crisped up they will suck up sauce thing

Tatters accompainment

Either Tuna os sword fish
Sprincle fish with rock salt pepper and oregano moisten up with litle olive oil
and stick on realy hot gridle fish is cooked when is easy to lift from gridle and turn over

This is going to be hot so (even more english) cucumber finely sliced and diced mixed with litle duble cream on litle bowle on the side as a dip for when heath get tooo much.

She is going to love it and you are going to be loving her mucho tiempo

one need same proper grape juce for this and is got to be white or I will personaly curse you pinot grigio or verduzzo do nicely
whit budda bar 4 dinner CD as sound track

While you digets this I going to get same work done (replace light buld on controll pannel)
evenly puding later.

Last edited:
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Today's Project

Modding my Atari 2600. I should have used a SIT for the video amp.

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    688.8 KB · Views: 106
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Up here (Scotland) you can't get fish and chips....they DO sell something which they CALL fish and chips.......I'd rather check out my neighbours trash can! Some excellent sausages from the butchers. But beware Haggis, Scotch pies, Bridies and anything else with a pastry wrapper sold hot in a bag. :eek:

The locally reared beef is world class ... as is the lamb - however few eateries have good chefs. Also difficult to find good wine. But going to a restaurant which is brilliant on Thursday to celebrate my birthday (70th...really crinkly, but flux well beaten-in works wonders!:p) with some friends and my solder splattered gf of some 31 years...we have only one chair in the tent, but the government is giving her a car without wheels just so that she can sit down as she too is a pensioner (of long standing) ;)

Where did you live in the UK? And when?

"tarts" are called "scrubbers" nowadays!;)...but dont ask the waiter for one unless you have a good doctor.

I lived in Ipswich and Felixstowe as a lad - dad was stationed at RAF Bentwaters back in 58-61. We lived off base with the locals so I had a bunch of English chums that taught me all about soccer - 10 speed bicycles and blowing things up with some great fireworks on Guy Fawkes Night.

When we went to the Fish and Chips Shop you could still select from a menu of several different type of fish - cod - halibut - sea bass - etc. and they would cook them up right then and wrap them up in newspaper. Just add some malt vinegar and some salt and you were good to go!!! It was lovely stuff that.

I'm well aware of Haggis and Scottish pies - understandably an acquired taste - but then so are some American foods. The lack of good chefs is what I referring to earlier - they are difficult to find unless you go to the large cities and find someone from the mainland that has been properly trained. Great whiskey and ale's - but I don't drink alcohol so I'm at a loss there.

I do have quite a bit of Culpepper in my blood line - and I blame that gene for all of the "rascal" sort of mischief I get into!!!

Congratulations on #70 coming up for you!!!! Well done!!!! I'm still a brilliant and shiny 49 y/o (well been that for 16 times now and it's starting to get hard to get away with it)......

As far as the "tarts" go - I have a different sweet in mind there... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• map-of-suffolk.gif
    map-of-suffolk.gif
    51.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Fish_n_chips.jpg
    Fish_n_chips.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Guy-Fawkes-night-Bonfire-night-fireworks-night-bucher-vue-d-ensemble.jpg
    Guy-Fawkes-night-Bonfire-night-fireworks-night-bucher-vue-d-ensemble.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 93
  • English Tarts.jpg
    English Tarts.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 91
Puding time
Peal and take nasty core of pears (Ioshy if you can)
stick in the pot and cover with Amaretto di Saronno ad generous amount of brown shugar and cinamon put lid on top and let boil for a bit

when pears ar tender enoug but no mushy take lid off and let juce turn in to thick syrup

put syrup on top of pears and enjoy

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Puding time
Peal and take nasty core of pears (Ioshy if you can)
stick in the pot and cover with Amaretto di Saronno ad generous amount of brown shugar and cinamon put lid on top and let boil for a bit

when pears ar tender enoug but no mushy take lid off and let juce turn in to thick syrup

put syrup on top of pears and enjoy

That juice turned into syrup sound as if it would be delicious of many things...... :D:D:D

Weeeelll c2c!

I was sent from Ireland to Ipswich School...My Father was (later)the Anglican (Episcopalian) Chaplain at RAF Martlesham Heath and I had my first flight ever in a Meteor and later in a Canberra. The US 'Private Air Force' - Eagle Squadron was based there during WW11.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Martlesham_Heath>

Even got to have a trip in a Lancaster! We then returned to Ireland. But my sister lives in rural Suffolk - near Sudbury - so I get back to those parts every year or so.

My first real TT came from a PX store..a Garrard 301. I still have a good few albums - mainly blues - from the same sell off when the US was closing down UK bases in the 60s.

Also had a 10 speed bike - bright yellow with chromed forks and eventually good Italian wheels with tubular tyres.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My first real TT came from a PX store..a Garrard 301.

Did you hang on to that one? Little did we realize then what a legend it would become. :D:D:D

Often in my haste to "have the latest" "the greatest" got shoved aside or got sold at a garage sale for like 10 dollars - given to the kids or a chum, and 20 or 30 years later I'm going "what was I thinking"?

I never really cared for the old Garrard's and Dual changers (many others as well) because of the complex record changing mechanical mess attached to the underside of the plinth. Made a living for awhile fixing them for a shop in Sacramento and developed a liking for the Thorens products with their simpler design - those things are just about bullet proof!!!

I forgot to mention my Irish bloodline, which is primarily Shannon on my mothers side.

I did look up "scrubbers" and came up with things that are used to scrub floors with - some air pollution control devices used on smoke stacks - and a reference to a movie made back in the '80 that had some rough looking characters in it and some of them seem to be a bit naughty - so I'm thinking you are referring to the naughty ones from the movie. Doesn't really matter much these days with the internet and a high speed connection just about anything one wishes to find can be found.

Cheers!!!! :cheers:

Oh - I forgot to mention - those Lancaster's were HUGE for their time!!! Hell of an aircraft!!!

OT as nex subject called
Back to red Bottoms

Got it and now I can go to have spatcha (sleep)

Bksabath..... Nice ride! Here's my last completed project--a 1964 Jaguar Fixed-Head Coupe...... I just finished full restoration. For a 6-cylinder, it runs really well....

The instrumentation and "electrics" are Lucas. The saying among Jaguar owners.....: "Why do the British drink warm beer?"......

The response: "Because they have Lucas refrigerators....!"

Wiring an F5X ought to be easy, after rennovating an XK-E dashboard....!

Now, back to other "off topic" topics....!

Attachments

• Jag (Mar 12)-072.jpg
    Jag (Mar 12)-072.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Jag (Mar 12)-030.jpg
    Jag (Mar 12)-030.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Jag (Mar 12)-078.jpg
    Jag (Mar 12)-078.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 95
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just be careful not to use your high speed connection too quickly when down by the docks!:D:D

Ta for the warning. Having been in the Navy for a bit I have seen my share of both good and bad docks - and sometimes the neighborhood they are in.

Visited Venice a couple of times and tied up right downtown. Wonderful place to visit. I think I had the worlds best calamari at one of the restaurants there.

Remembering the Irish part of my bloodline I decided to listen to one of my favorite Irish singers today. Van Morrison - Candy Dulfer Live Rockpalast - YouTube

Not the best audio quality (fair) - but a good show and some great music.

Cheers!!!:D:D:D

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here's my last completed project--a 1964 Jaguar Fixed-Head Coupe...... I just finished full restoration. For a 6-cylinder, it runs really well....

WoW!!!!! Really GREAT job CanAm Man!!!! I was lead to believe that getting the carb's synced was a *itch and of course the electrical system in the Jag's and MG's are famous for driving their owners and garage mechanics NUTS!!!!!!

That baby looks to be in concourse condition - are you gonna show her?

Congratulations!!!!! :up::up:

"scrubbers" movie

Dike alert !!

Myself, i'm more of a slapper (though in general, i slap women differently)
Oops, 70, have to start censoring my foul language habits around here.

Last year, at the ETF, Martina Schoener's Garrard 401 sounded wonderfull, spent quite a few hours listening to the TT and Mr Gerhard's works.
Problem with building/rebuilding worthwhile turntables is the arm/cartridge upgrade (e.g. in the Loricraft 401, the Naim Aro arm and Lyra Skala cartridge add +$6K easily to the final outcome)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Last year, at the ETF, Martina Schoener's Garrard 401 sounded wonderfull, spent quite a few hours listening to the TT and Mr Gerhard's works.
Problem with building/rebuilding worthwhile turntables is the arm/cartridge upgrade (e.g. in the Loricraft 401, the Naim Aro arm and Lyra Skala cartridge add +$6K easily to the final outcome)

That $6K is not a problem for me in the least Jacco. It is sooooooo far out of the equation that I don't even have to spend anytime whatsoever considering it. Just grab a good needle out of mum's sewing kit and toss it in there - good to go!!! (Is that screaming I hear going on? Crying?)

As to the Dike Alert - well Rotterdam has some very nice ones there - as I'm sure you are well aware of. I got to see those on a couple of visits there as well. ;)

Last edited:
Dike alert !!

Myself, i'm more of a slapper (though in general, i slap women differently)
Oops, 70, have to start censoring my foul language habits around here.

When at sea everyone has to take their turn I,m told.:rolleyes: some I gather like the roll play and stick with it.:(

I would like to hear that set-up. I have a pair of Joachim Gerhard's Sonics speakers and they are wonderful, uncoloured and no exaggerations. You need to add a few more bucks for his head amp/eq in Martina's setup.:eek:

.......getting the carb's synced...... are you gonna show her?

Congratulations!!!!! :up::up:

Thanks for the kind words..... seems as though I'm bouncing from one project to another....and I though retirement was going to be RELAXING....!

As for sync'ing the carbs..... I cheat..... a great little tool for doing the hard work.....

As for showing the XK-E..... Probably so--there are some tractor pulls later this summer, and I plan on entering the Jag in the "British Car That Runs Most of the Time" category....(!)..... :eek:

Attachments

• Jag 14.jpg
    Jag 14.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 83
Bksabath..... Nice ride! Here's my last completed project--a 1964 Jaguar Fixed-Head Coupe...... I just finished full restoration. For a 6-cylinder, it runs really well....

The instrumentation and "electrics" are Lucas. The saying among Jaguar owners.....: "Why do the British drink warm beer?"......

The response: "Because they have Lucas refrigerators....!"

Wiring an F5X ought to be easy, after rennovating an XK-E dashboard....!

Now, back to other "off topic" topics....!

VERY very sweet! If you think Lucas is bad try a Maserati! Mixed Lucas Bosch Marelli electrics joined up by a knitter who had dropped the wool and a twin plug head and distributor with double rotors! But what a sweet engine. The V12 Jags were a pain as the studs which held the heads down used to corrode badly making any top end work an absolute nightmare. IF you could get them out without damage to heads or block you needed to get high quality SS copies made.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I would like to hear that set-up. I have a pair of Joachim Gerhard's Sonics speakers and they are wonderful, uncoloured and no exaggerations. You need to add a few more bucks for his head amp/eq in Martina's setup.:eek:

Nah - $600 bucks and some elbow grease - good to go..... :rolleyes:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut - right now enjoying headphones and high speed internet connection and Joe Cocker: The Best of Joe Cocker (Live in Dortmund 1992) - YouTube

The high speed internet connection crack being in there for Jacco's entertainment..... :clown:

Attachments

• Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    Walsh5 Remake Dec 2010.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
As for showing the XK-E..... Probably so--there are some tractor pulls later this summer, and I plan on entering the Jag in the "British Car That Runs Most of the Time" category....(!)..... :eek:

Well - if the electrical and carbs are sorted out you at least have a chance!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hell - the electric wuz f'ed up on my English 10 speed and all it had was a headlight and tail light run off of one of those little generator thingy's that rubbed against the front wheel. Want to have more light to see where you are going???? Peddle faster mate!!!!