The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The idea of adding water to a amplifier is just all wrong!

Arn't the amplifiers suppose to be at a certain temperature for them to be running ideally ?

You don't see pass labs with small heat sinks or water cooling do we ?

They are designed to remove the proper amount of heat from the fet's to keep them at their ambient and proper temperature :)

yup - same rules as for internal combustion machines .....
let them bleed ..... :rofl:

I can bet that - if you are willing to pay for series of 100pcs Liquid cooled FW amps , Papa will make them , just for fun ...... then all you can see is bunch of greedy boyz keeping their beer in oven , and using their refriggers for amps .....

:clown:

The liquid is not water .or conducting liquid. im not sure what it is .Probably like a silicone base liquid. Do not turn the power of your amp on will your holding standing in the bathtub filled with water holding J-man. it s a warning they forgot include on the caution sheet. I thought u might have needed this.Nor fly a kite when there is a thunderstorm. stand in the middle of a field .,. Im a little dumb here ,not idiotic nor moronic. But thanks for pointing out the fact that and amps dont mix to good with water nor does intelligent replies and huffing Xylene
I also asked if it is possible that i can connect a 12 volt small fan on to the 12 v trigger . i want to use a computer fan,if such voltage to cool my amps. i it constant supply? would there some type of interference or whine created by using it there? Parasound 5 ch and mc2150 mcintosh,she gets real hot.I want to place little fan on top to blow inside them. is there a simple better way? let some else ,get ,this 1 ,J. but thanks,i know yu were ready this 1 too.*,:)

just put it .
fan .
with wallwart supply .
whatever .

i dont under stand wallwart suppy?wat is that??A regular 120 volt small desk fan? i was thinking of little slimline 3" x1/2"fans you see on chips. 1 to pull and 1 to exhaust.can i just wire them to trigger?? i dont want to plug more stuff in on my wall i m maxed out there.i dont want to spend a 100 dollars on power supply for more plugs and cost of fan .When i can get a small chip fan for 2 dollars .and wire it to trigger screw i dont use in set up.
i want to throw the 5 channel in the Tv stand rack along with me Denon.in which im not using it s amp section. no heat from denon but heat from parasound. i was thinking if i can put little fans on top just give a liitle extra circulation. The big hot mac will stay in front of everthing on its stand..can i connect to trigger?is this done occasionally .or is this going to hurt something. I have cheaper stuff.but this stuff is the best I ever had. i dont want to short something. I just read an old clip about a problem in a old Carver i had with where its fan was connected by the powers supply.I cant tell u wat or where .I remember it was an issue thats it, maybe a whine or something it created.I just want to be safe and how do i do it????

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yo man - your English is even crazier than mine :rofl: :cheers:

whazzat trigger ?

I wrote you - use fan (any you want , even these ceiling ones if you wish :rofl: ) , feed it with whatever supply you wish , but not with PSU rail which is feeding any audio block in your amps or preamps ......
it's probably easiest to use small PSU like this one on pic .
just to be sure that you ain't robbing some important rail in your amp .....

all that considering that I know squat what's "trigger"

Attachments

• ww.jpg
    ww.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 492
Oh, I dunno, as over-engineered solutions go they have their attractive points. There are no messy fluids to leak, for starters. All fluids leak sooner or later :) Also, due to closed loop control, you can maintain the cold plate temp to within +/- a degree C or better. Regulation of junction temperature is therefore much better than with a passive heat sink. Even to temperatures below ambient.

As for the downsides, I never said they were efficient or inexpensive. More problematic, IMHO, is the potential for EMI with PWM controlled current to the Peltier devices.

Peltier's are not good, they require a huge heat sink to keep the cold side cold, plus they are MAJOR current hogg.!

i will check out that technology. i just wanted to fit in. I might build an amp. andi heard heatsinks can run in the hundreds .And they are the reason these amps have to be so large. I curios to know at what temperture these transistors heat up to. my Computer and Mcintosh are like space heaters.:cool:
About the fan .I was just curious is it would be possible to use the 12v source that coms from the trigger supply from the reciever .That is normally used to turn components on when reciever is turned on. I dont use the trigger function to turn on my amps. 1 does no have that option,the mc2105.
thanks for entertaining my lesser suggestions.
I need to work on my room dynamics first . before i start another project.
Planar speakers can b very fussy to set up

We would definitely want a linear power supply regulator
for those coolers. Nice single-ended Class A without feedback.

:cool:

ROTFL

"Bloody hell, now that is what I call thinking. Here Vroomfondel, why do we never think of things like that?" -- Majikthise, a representative of the Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Thinking Persons

Today I saw a nice advertising (adverstisement?) in HIFI+ (2009 awards)

It shows a Pic of gorgeous X 250 that takes the whole page.

On upper right theses words (if memory serves)

Pass Labs
300 reviews
47 products
42 articles
1 Nelson Pass!

That's way hot ... :hypno2:

If there are posters of this jewel available ... I want one to put on the wall in my living-room.... :nod:

Papa?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Today I saw a nice advertising (adverstisement?) in HIFI+ (2009 awards)

It shows a Pic of gorgeous X 250 that takes the whole page.

On upper right theses words (if memory serves)

Pass Labs
300 reviews
47 products
42 articles
1 Nelson Pass!

That's way hot ... :hypno2:

If there are posters of this jewel available ... I want one to put on the wall in my living-room.... :nod:

Papa?

at least high res file ......

:worship:

even if I still like this one even more :

Attachments

• 14_big.jpg
    14_big.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 302
Last edited: