Paid Member
Last edited:
Apparently the minor machining work from my amplifier building
means I need to first get an orbital x-ray done on my head before
I can have an MRI.

Has anyone had that before?

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

If you have a piece of metal in your head from machining, having an MRI would be dangerous, it could rip it out (the average MRI is 1 Tesla, they can be as high as 3 Tesla); to locate any metal fragments, depending where it is, a
n OPG X-Ray (Orthopantomograph) will be used to cover the maxilla and mandible, otherwise you will need a CT scan.

Back in my days, there was a mechanical tomography technique. A very large arm device, which swung in an 8-shape trajectory. It had to be brought up to speed, before hitting the xray button. If hit by the arm/head, it would knock someone unconscious.

(An OPG is panaromic imaging. A Cat scan is computer-tomography. An MRI is a CT on NMR steroids)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ime, it doesn't cure a headache. What's your excuse ?

(an OPG is a teeth shot for a fairy dentist. 'Orbital' refers to hitting the eye jackpot, usually means tilting one's head backwards and Say AH. Almost like a BJ)

Yes, they are definitely concerned about the eyes. And they require the
x-rays for anyone who's ever done any sort metal grinding, cutting, drilling,
welding at any point in the past. (This would be a non-trivial chunk
of the population here since (at least when I was a kid) it was common
to have machine shop classes.)

Dennis

Well Dennis, I thought that your first post on this was a joke, but clearly I was wrong again!! Apologies and I hope that everything is sorted successfully - and without further ado.

IS it possible that the pic below is anything to do with our Mighty Landlord being so quite? Has he really taken up a new job as a male model??? The people want to know!

Attachments

• StefanSchlumpf_SCHLUMPF_002_2880_SM.jpg
    StefanSchlumpf_SCHLUMPF_002_2880_SM.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 97

I've had an MRI of my head/neck twice over the last half decade.
Had to fill out a form, crossed the line that said I hadn't been into heavy metal recently.
If there would have been some shrapnel left, at least the MRI would have removed it.

A year or so ago, a 0.2'' iron spear launched itself halfway into the iris area of my right eye during a metal grinder jobby at home.
Tomorrow I have to call my gp again, got something in my right eye for the last 2.5 weeks, my visit to the doc monday a week ago solved JS.

(I started in the metal business at age 8, got scars from welding, punch pressing, saws, to ripping the entire skin off my thumb by a 3-phase column drill, plus burns from various plastics. I've welded/sawn/machined* every kind of steel, aluminum, non-ferrous metal. *hand/cnc lathes & milling machines, micrometer tolerance surface grinding. Whatever you can think of at home, me do/done it, from a-z renovating/rebuilding homes to DIY steel yachts to the smallest part. I have stabbed body parts scars top to bottom, and shot with live ammo)