The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Attachments

• DSC_0279_02.JPG
    DSC_0279_02.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 147
Dear Cal,
My condolences for you!
Thank you Gyuri. I am busy getting ready for his commemoration this Saturday so I don't look in here too often but am hoping to be having :drink: here soon.
Do mods know how many times someone is on an ignore list?
I don't think so. At least I can't find it anywhere.
I reckon I could pick someone in the top 5. Hahaha
Yes, we all know at least one I'm sure.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My attorney advises me to make a public announcement somewhere,
and this looks like a perfectly good place.

Apparently there is a website called flacit offering music downloads
and they have attached my name to it.

I am going on record that I am not associated with any such activity.

:cool:

have a PhD

with a shmoke and a pancake ?

A long time ago, I had a class on ship design.
A 50+ year old guy was working on a PhD thesis about the merits of computer-assisted teaching.
In order to provide data to support the claim of his thesis, the group was split in two parts.
Half was instructed with computer-aiding, the other half without.

The exam results perfectly confirmed the gent's assertion that computer-aided tuition was so much better/efficient.
The half which scored a rock bottom grade were outraged and collectively protested.
The exam could only be accomplished succesfully, by those who had attended the 2-hour instruction class on the final day before the exam.
Which only the other half had, the 'efficiently' taught group.
Now how are the odds that an MSc bloke over 50 knew upfront what the exam results would look like ?

A couple of days ago, I nearly launched my coffee while reading web news pages.
Computers 'do not improve' pupil results, says OECD - BBC News

Ah, and then there's 'Professors'.
Fantastic grant/subsidy raisers for universities, who buy themselves into an academic status seat.
Those with a PhD surprisingly often have the familiar scent of the above mentioned bloke.

It frequently makes me chuckle when I read posts about 'science' and 'scientific' methods on this forum.
Almost a guarantee that the one who wrote it, has seen very little of the academic world, if at all.

Last edited:
That's a fairly accurate summary of the situation.
Where I work 50% of the staff have a PhD many are considered world leading experts (that term gets used pretty generously hehehe) the other 50% have either Masters of 1st Class Honours degrees.
I'm not saying what I have but I try to stay as dumb as possible, because some of those considered experts don't have a clue about basic stuff or are full of ****.

A few years ago, after working on carbon nanotubes for less than 2 months it was reported in the Newspaper I was the world leading expert in that field. LMFAO. In some ways it was actually true but only because the others had no idea. They'll baffle you with ******** but when it comes to using them in real applications or getting good dispersions they have no idea (maybe a little harsh to emphasize the point).

There is nothing new under the sun.

Last edited: