Joined 2003
Paid Member
silence ......... ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 248
No. :D But not a bad guess.

It's the circuit diagram of a W28 telephone. Made by Siemens & Halske in the early 1930's. For me the most beautiful telephone ever made. Equipped with a TAE-plug it's still working in the German analog telephone net.
My copy already uses this plug. Beside that, I made some other modifications: To reduce aural harmful crack noises when dialing I added 2 antiparallel diodes to the earpiece. The mouthpiece contains now a transistor part from AKG. An other transformer (the "better" one from the succeeding model W48) is waiting for its use. But to be honest, I'm not going to replace the old one, because the sound quality (and with it the speech discrimination) is already very good!
Same with the bells. During World War II they used glass instead of metal for the bells. The metal was needed for the armaments industry... So I'm glad to have a version with metal bells. Hey, this telephone still sounds like a telephone! I always get a hair root catarrh when hearing all these modern *beepbeep* ring tones.
It's possibly just a simple little telephone, not more complicated than a door bell perhaps, but I like simple things that shine in one single task (and as a caveman I enjoy to understand its circuitry :)).
It also gives me a good feeling to know, that you can still make phone calls with it. Pretty much as with your iPhone, which needs a circuit that is a million times more complicated. (Um, I don't fear such comparisons! ;))

Edit: I'm at work now. The pix are from the net, but my phone looks very similar. The dialplate is slightly different.

Attachments

• w28tisch_gr.jpg
    w28tisch_gr.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 202
  • w28tisch_gr2.jpg
    w28tisch_gr2.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
It must be noted that although it uses batteries, (should it have been name "Edison" as TE advocated DC power?:) it converts it to AC for the AC motors...I think on each wheel for better torque/less heat. NTesla with his genius went for AC for easier transmission over long distances.