The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

I am having a dumbosophical rethink about all of this stuff. I've tried passive crossovers, active crossovers, no crossovers (ie fullrange drivers). I also tried digital EQ

I definitely feel active crossovers bring benefits for the bass in a fast setup (not much of a fan of inductors) but have been thinking of doing away with crossovers on the fullrange.

I am thinking just incorporating the relevant high pass filter at the input of the amp that drives the full range.
Really trying to apply Nelson's and Einstein's philosophy as much as possible, ie fully custom made amps to meet the specific requirements of each driver ie Power, Gain, Damping factor, and HP/LP Filter. Minimisation to the extreme

OK you fine bunch gentledumbs.
I just bought an amp camp kit today to drive a nice high efficiency full range driver.
I am thinking of getting rid of that large output cap and just putting in what is required to achieve a low pass around 200Hz. I'll try it both ways but don't see the point of having a whopping big cap and then adding another cap somewhere else in the circuit to get the low pass I want.
It's been a while since I have listened to the FR without bass support, so I'll play around with that too.

Cheers mate. They're in the mail.
I have quite a few wave guides that give nice measured responses but they're all plastic, and I really wanted something small made out of aluminium or wood.

I have access to a cnc router now. I am thinking of making something similar but in wood. Not sure how it easy will be to come up with a good waveguide profile and then get it into the router. I am very rusty on this

Last edited:
Everyone is still asleep at the table

Fex! I have never been so un-hungover in my whole life. Kiddos moms mom almost fell of pin 2 weeks ago so so I've been soloing as dady since. Crap a week ago I felt real sick but yesterday it all started to come back. Even felt a bit like taking a jog, ugly thought.

Now shes comin back this afternoon pickin up gangsta and I'm schizo weather I'm going to continue drying the rusty tubes or rocket fuel them up again.:confused:

PS Cal, no smokes either yet. Darn this cant be good. Wonder how long that's been?

Last edited:
(as a former country hick, I love the smell of chicken/pig dump in the morning. but not in my back yard)
No problem with that. These piles are actually sweet smelling unless you don't like rotting matter. The poor Mrs with her sensitive nose and girly ways.

My problem is the heat with windows closed. Turns out she slept well and is dancing around in her summer dress now. I sweat a lot and not so much sleep.
PS Cal, no smokes either yet. Darn this cant be good. Wonder how long that's been?
December 19.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sitting at my desk now. Where dodos?

Nashville Dodo here - want me to put on some country wake up music???
When I do that the dachshunds start to howl - - - - - and the Mrs. will howl too...... The dachshunds sound good - SWMBO - not so good.....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Dachshund Marriage.jpg
    Dachshund Marriage.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 44