The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
or go ceramic if you intend to skip 30 more Bdays, clearaudio cmb starts at around 4 C-notes.

League ? League ?
Oehh, Yada-man is on a roll today.
(me like Danish beer & missies, but definitely not Danish arms and/or cartridges)

:hug:

Radford, Moorcroft, Lowther, Loads of world class studio gear, some B&W, SME and loads more.:) Plus a lot of dross as well.

tnx ;)

I just was/am disgusted with those modern vs. prior Brit things

:cheers:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
or go ceramic if you intend to skip 30 more Bdays, clearaudio cmb starts at around 4 C-notes.

Ta Jacco but for $400 USD I can get a Lenco in decent shape to play around with.

I have studied the CMB and although tempting for high class stuff I want to do a project that others can copy for about that much $$$ tops - not including the cartridge. Target cart is Denon 103 but I have an open mind about that and the options are open.

Nooow get something likea Lenco - Linn - Garrard - as donor unit - cut up a bucha plywood for base - steal some granite offa counter top (shhhh :shhh:) for plinth - Spin up a MDF or HDF platter - get cheap used Garrard synchro motor and then start deciding on belt drive or idler wheel thingy. Right now I'm leaning towards the idler wheel but that path leads off into some tricky things to consider too.

So - to do half assssssed clone of CMB I could play with these goodies - but the basic model will still be old school with a ball in it (top or bottom TBD) 2 Neodymium Magnets 1 x 1/2 x 1/4 inch Ring N48 | eBay

Attachments

• 1 inch dia x qutar inch hole neo magnet.JPG
    1 inch dia x qutar inch hole neo magnet.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 74
Nooow get something likea Lenco - Linn - Garrard - as donor unit - cut up a bucha plywood for base - steal some granite offa counter top (shhhh :shhh:) for plinth - Spin up a MDF or HDF platter - get cheap used Garrard synchro motor and then start deciding on belt drive or idler wheel thingy. Right now I'm leaning towards the idler wheel but that path leads off into some tricky things to consider too.

]

Skip counter top unless you can nick a piece of it from her kitchen whitout her noticing and use Granite floor tiles easy to cut with grinder disk bit of silicon goop between layers for even beter damping that plain granite do.

It is all in my head at present but got plan for motor plater and idler wheel all nicely in line
Motor and idler on sub granite frame maybe floating on O rings alla SME
(Glad that that is on UK list now)
with belt dragin plater at 2 opposite points to transmit spin force and cancel other forces othervise present.
No ACAD on this puter will have a go tomorow.

Thought this tread was to stay off topic with in topic thing and specially conceived to alleviate my boredom at work and most probably figment of my immagination but any way you got me started so get same more wacco raving

Being trying to make base suspended on opposite magnets unless magnets are spinning
I can not get the thing stable have not given up jet and trying to use repelling magnets at corners as well

Also in my head tangent Arm with graphite and magnet duda to keep arm floating
But also thought on how nicely the magnets inside cartridge interact with the rest of all those magnets
Platter would have to be pretty thick to be on magnetic bearing if one thinks how close cartridge gets to centre spindle.

And granite is magnetic as well

I will have to invent different kind of cartridge strain gauge like or one of those silicon chip laser trimmed pressure sensors thingie.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thought this tread was to stay off topic with in topic thing and specially conceived to alleviate my boredom at work and most probably figment of my immagination but any way you got me started so get same more wacco raving

Papa doesn't make TT's so how much more OT can you get than that? But don't wanna hog to much more of ZM thread - if we keep this discussion up for something real then we for sure need to abandon this ship and jump on something else that floats.

Being trying to make base suspended on opposite magnets unless magnets are spinning
I can not get the thing stable have not given up jet and trying to use repelling magnets at corners as well

Wanting to use magnets all over da place is easier than actually using magnets in a manner that works and doesn't muck up the other things around them. This is more difficult than it 1st appears and you will need to do some study about magnetic shielding.

Also in my head tangent Arm with graphite and magnet duda to keep arm floating
But also thought on how nicely the magnets inside cartridge interact with the rest of all those magnets
Platter would have to be pretty thick to be on magnetic bearing if one thinks how close cartridge gets to centre spindle.

I've had waaaaaay toooooo much fun with high power magnets ever since swiping them outta magnetron and klystron tubz when youngster in Navy - and I went even more down hill in later life!!!! Magnets know no master - only agree to do things when they feel like it.

And granite is magnetic as well

I will have to invent different kind of cartridge strain gauge like or one of those silicon chip laser trimmed pressure sensors thingie.

I wuz thinking about vibrating thingie - tut that's gonna be in the advanced upgrade model - well that and the fact that it will take me a couple of years to see if the damn thing actually works. Duo Lateral PSDs | Position Sensing Detectors | Silicon Photodiodes | OSI Optoelectronics

And then there will be a need of different sorta tone arm - and then that gets me into cantilever suspensions and just how dependent the entire TT chain is on that little hunka plastic (or rubber - or whale blubber - what ever).

Some body I will never understand why the need to complicate things
Invented the magnet and made shure that they are never stable

But make thing spinn and they are pretty good got same experience on generator for BNFL subsidiary
basicaly a 500 Kg drumm spinning at 30000 rpm (in vacum) to transform kinetic in to 4.7 Kw of power (if no power demand thing would carry on spinning for a week or more)
with advent of better Bateries, Solar and reduced power demands by comunication station that got scrapped.
:D
About hogin ZM tread Just take leaf of his and chum posts.
evvery so often drop hints on how much you are loving me or how tittilating you find my bedy skinny legs.
Probably I would get arested for wearing shorts but no one need to know.:D

Did I manage to kill this tread?

Any way turn table idea.
On standard belt pull platter towards motor. Motor and platter need to be on rigid frame.
Arm need to be at fixed distance from platter so end up being on rigid frame with motor and pick up vibration
With idler mass
Motor and idler on same cradle
Pull forces on platter are 180 degree and cancel out
Belt tension provided by distance of motor to idler
If those on separate frame this can float and always adjust itself to equilibrium
Only forces seen by platter cause rotation

Motor not longer coupled to platter / arm
Vibration can be easily damped by belt
Different size pulleys on motor and idler shift resonant frequency
Idler wheel can be connected to large mass and make Flywheel

Attachments

• Turntable .jpg
    Turntable .jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 79
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Some body I will never understand why the need to complicate things
Invented the magnet and made shure that they are never stable

But make thing spinn and they are pretty good got same experience on generator for BNFL subsidiary
basicaly a 500 Kg drumm spinning at 30000 rpm (in vacum) to transform kinetic in to 4.7 Kw of power (if no power demand thing would carry on spinning for a week or more)
with advent of better Bateries, Solar and reduced power demands by comunication station that got scrapped.
:D
About hogin ZM tread Just take leaf of his and chum posts.
evvery so often drop hints on how much you are loving me or how tittilating you find my bedy skinny legs.
Probably I would get arested for wearing shorts but no one need to know.:D

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!! Ya only got 4.7Kw outta 500Kg drum at 30Krpm?
That seems a little low...... :scratch1: Now I'm tempted to go break out Newtons papers and a little scratch pad and crunch some numbers. But - as you have said they tossed it onto the rubbish pile that would be a waste of time.
OTOH - if we could squeeze a few more RPM's out of her we might be able to use it as a motor source for TT. It will take one heck of a gear reduction scheme - but hey - over here at the dummy table we think up cwrazy BS like that!!! :D:D:D

I'm thinking (just a suspicion mind you) that you are pretty bright guy trying to sneak over to dummies table...... :cool::cool::cool:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Did I manage to kill this tread?

Any way turn table idea.
On standard belt pull platter towards motor. Motor and platter need to be on rigid frame.
Arm need to be at fixed distance from platter so end up being on rigid frame with motor and pick up vibration
With idler mass
Motor and idler on same cradle
Pull forces on platter are 180 degree and cancel out
Belt tension provided by distance of motor to idler
If those on separate frame this can float and always adjust itself to equilibrium
Only forces seen by platter cause rotation

Motor not longer coupled to platter / arm
Vibration can be easily damped by belt
Different size pulleys on motor and idler shift resonant frequency
Idler wheel can be connected to large mass and make Flywheel

Been there - thought about that - and is good idea. Dual belts have been done by others but I'm not sure that they did it your way. Under ideal conditions you are right about things canceling each other out - but there are some other things to consider. Ya gotta have - hmmmm.

On second thought maybe I should send ya a PM (maybe about 50 of 'em) because if I get barking about this then I will for sure be hogging ZM's tread!!! Plus it would be a real discussion rather than my usual stuuuuuupid stuff and that would ruin my reputation as big dummy.:xeye:

Plussssssssss - there areeeeeeee other eyes that scan these silly pages. The next thing we know someone will have goofy clone TT in a Papa case with a granite plinth and a ZM logo and that would really pizzzzzzz me off!!! :cuss: