The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Today I am 65 years old.
This is brutal.
This was my celebratory lunch:
20240410_163139.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
So, I'm retired now. (In theory.)
I actually have to keep working. (If they still claim my work.)
Otherwise, I will starve to death.
If that wasn't enough, I have so many unfinished diyaudio projects.
Just to note, the life expectancy of men born in 1959 in Hungary (Yes, I am a man.) is 65.04 years.
So if I'm still alive about on my name day, and even more, I can only improve this statistic.
What do you think?

Congrats Gyuri.
Canadian men and especially those in British Columbia fare better than your countrymen.
Warm ocean breezes, red wines and cheeses,
go a long way too.
Contentment can never be overlooked.
Born in 1962, I think I'm supposed to last another 16 years.
I have my doubts, but if I am wrong, I hope I am ready.

Happy birthday Gyuri, I hope you get to share many more here with the gang in the pub. We don't give up easily you know.
:cheers:

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Congrats Gyuri.
Canadian men and especially those in British Columbia fare better than your countrymen.
Warm ocean breezes, red wines and cheeses,
go a long way too.
Contentment can never be overlooked.
Born in 1962, I think I'm supposed to last another 16 years.
I have my doubts, but if I am wrong, I hope I am ready.

Happy birthday Gyuri, I hope you get to share many more here with the gang in the pub. We don't give up easily you know.
:cheers:

Young punk.

Eh?

Hmm.. "warm ocean beaches"? In BC?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So, I'm retired now. (In theory.)
I actually have to keep working. (If they still claim my work.)
Otherwise, I will starve to death.
If that wasn't enough, I have so many unfinished diyaudio projects.
Just to note, the life expectancy of men born in 1959 in Hungary (Yes, I am a man.) is 65.04 years.
So if I'm still alive about on my name day, and even more, I can only improve this statistic.
What do you think?

As Mark Twain said,... there are statistics and there are lies.

Just enjoy life. Play some music. Budapest, and all of that part of the World, is beautiful.

One recommendation though. In your meals, always make sure there is something green.... Usually veggies with fiber. A simple salad.

Simple, good fiber and your gut will last to 100.

Yeah, I thought I had retired last year, at 64 1/2... and then someone offered me a nice job... oh well.

Thank you Cal!
You know, I never ever give up my despondency.
But there are ones, like Aoife O'Donovan and Sarah Jarosz, and their music, and these are kept me alive.
And of course my cats, including my daughter.
And those unfinished projects, that must to finish.
I've noticed before that my philosophical mood is directly (or squarely or cubically?) proportional to the beers I consume.
Don't ask, how many Dreher Golds emptied after that Imperial Porter.
If you never recognised, health is in the beer.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
As a matter of fact... yes... an Old Fart now... and I used to be a Young Fart too!

Once upon a time, we had drunk lots of Generic Beer on a Sunday. That yeasty cheap stuff that you drink when you're 23 and not very rich and want to drink lots of beer.

So, next morning, my boss sent me up to the El Segundo HQ tower to deliver some design docs. ( this was in the early 80s ).

I went up the 17 floor or so, delivered the stuff and got back in the elevator to go back to my office. The elevators were split... the top ones went on every of the top floors but was express from the 11th to the ground.

Just as the doors closed on the 11th floor, with a full car of HQ executive types.. you know, well dressed guys in ties, ladies in their heels, etc... and Yours Truly in the back corner... I let loose.... wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, one of them Silent Quiet Killers.

Yeasty.

Yikes.

As the sweet, pungent aroma slowly enveloped the entire cab with an oily mushroomy, woody, spicy (1) je ne sais quoi, fragrancy that inexorably enveloped the finely dressed executive types.... Yours Truly outwardly joined the mob in our shared, communal consternation that someone would have broken such an unspoken social pact (2). But inwardly, YT reveled in the complexity of the aroma... Such a Magnificent Byproduct!

When the elevator hit the ground floor, as the doors burst open, even the ladies in their high heels found speed in their feet. Naturellement I was last and kept my composure until I got to the car, where for the next five minutes I laughed my head off.

(1) We'd eaten lots of cheap Domino's pizza to go with the cheap beer. With lots of Tabasco for me.
(2) Well, the R&D building was a single story with no elevators and the labs had fantastic airflow, so we had no such need to constraint our personal effluvia.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jeezuz man, he said this is his celebration meal. If he wants to keep that green **** off his plate, I applaud him. For one time, just one time, I wish I could keep that green * off my plate.

Alas, I am married.

Bring on the green ****.

Yikes.... he wants to live longer... I mean at 65 I'm healthier than I was when I was 55. I just had to cut down, big time, on the vodka.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Have you never enjoyed a little Jimmy Buffett?
If that's the case, I am beginning to understand what is wrong with you.

East Coast guy... yeah, I like his music, but nothing I would buy an ultrasonic cleaner to keep his LPs clean.

Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers, my kind of East Coast guys.

There's nothing wrong with me that a bit of steamed green veggies in my dinner won't fix. 🥑🍏🥬🥦