The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

do not judge your amplification as long it isn't mated with adequate speakers
Just to clarify, the amps are golden! At this point everything gets built around them. I went from Rotel, to Mark Levinson, and finally to homebrew Fist Watt. Biggest game changer was stepping into Class A, by a long shot.

With the Nina album it's a thick blend of 'synth' and heavy guitar and I think it's the guitar that sucks the life out of the speakers. My understanding is if you go super efficient like a full range they won't want to work any magic. But that's where I have no clue because I have never had the chance to roll speakers to see what the amp likes when given something with a strong beat and guitar combo.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
with moderate power A Class amps, ppl are taking several routes

• moderate efficiency multiways (for my reason, that's combo just for small spaces)
  • high efficiency multiways
  • moderate ( or even low) efficiency Full range
  • high efficiency Full range

each way is having own pro and contra; which one you are going to choose is mainly predefined with your space, SPL habits, heft or your wallet

nobody exactly can give you recipe knowing it'll be bingo for you, but you can ask for opinions and advices, then use your own brain

one of imprtant things to differentiate - efficient isn't the same as sensitivity; example - PA drivers with high W figure are efficient ........ but they're (in most cases) less sensitive than their cousins having same db/W/m figure. but lesser declared power

simply matter of less metal in voice coil, less glue, less cone thickness, less spider material ........

note- applicable for most cone drivers; compression drivers are different story

anyhow, generalizations are useful, but easy to be lost in them, forgetting that goal is to choose one particular speaker; look around, see what is warming your heart, ask around about opinions of particular speaker

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
say, just one of many roads leading to Rome
taking in account your neck of wood
old Altec 420A (or 415A) + big Heil AMT 1

proper box, proper xover, you can go in retirement regarding spks

not HiFi by today's standards, but who cares for that, you'll cry, smile, foot-tapping all the time

edit - Altec numbers just by memory ; Biflex is crucial word, whatever number

Joined 2010
Paid Member
An alternative to Altecs are JBLs. 2225 or 2226 woofers in a big box mated with 2445 compression drivers with horns are a nice combo. Maybe add a super tweeter for the very top end. The good thing is these old JBL pro components can be found used at good prices.

I've got both Altecs and JBLs and currently, I use a JBL setup and am very happy with it. Plays all types of music very well.

Reactions: 1 users
I see there is a huge selection of the JBLs on ebay. Plus a full rebuild kit for 100$ That is something I'm looking at closely now after realizing certain drivers are just dead once damaged because there is no access to parts. I'd be happy either way, Altecs or JBL, if I can find the right deal and do the refurb.

ResisterClone
Joined 2011
Paid Member
JBL…..I’ve used many…use to be my go to
Still have my first ones I bought new when making massive boxes.

Attachments

• 7ECDBA2D-7698-4AC2-8C09-573E82F092EE.jpeg
    7ECDBA2D-7698-4AC2-8C09-573E82F092EE.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 50
I'm curious, is there a big penalty for sizing down to 12"? That seems to open up a lot of options/price points. I found a set of burnt orange Quadrex grills that would go rather nicely with a 12" build. But I can imagine that stepping into 15" could be a game changer in performance terms-