The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Here is the picture again. I thought the first post didnt sound right, so my intention was to write a new one, but was disturbed by something else, in the process:D Anyway, here are the "sort of" Apogee clones. Basically they are a variation of the danish La Folia DIY effort.
The 15 inch Tannoy's I mentioned are the ones with the "expensive" magnet from the mid 70's or there about. It's gonna be fun to play around with those, in different setup's. I also have a supposedly "high-end" sort of speakers in the works, together with a pair of Sonus-F bookshelf clones. I guess that loudspeakers , took over the place:devilr:
The magneplanars on the pic are a bit annoying in the livingroom. The door cant open, and we have to step sideways to get to the patio:D Had them for free, though:bigeyes:
I measured their impedance to 3r on the bass and 4r on the tweeter ribbon and they are not quite as difficult to drive as their reputation.
:)

Attachments

• magneplanar.jpg
    magneplanar.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 545
mpmarino said:
Geez!

Any of you guys ever have a pinched nerve? Damn near made my right arm/hand useless. On the slow road to recovery thank goodness. Funny, the most difficult thing was using the mouse...

Under different circumstances, I could come up with other things that would cause me bigger worries, than not being able to use my right hand for the mouse.......but then again, I have other people for taking care of such :rofl:

Magura :)

Q&A: ... not so high end off topic:

Situation: transformer with +/- 45 VAC and +/- 45 VAC dual secondaries. The idea is of course to produce +/0/- 45 VAC from these, so as to feed the diode bridge.

red & blue and red & blue colors on the output pairs.

Which is best?

Red .... blue X red ... blue < OR > red ... blue X blue ... red ?
+/-45 ... tied=0 ... +/- 45 < OR > +/-45 ... tied=0 ... +/- 45 ?

And if "indeterminate", how would one find out which works best for that particular transformer (without opening it up)? :confused:

(My hunch is that ... red ... blue X red ... blue ... would keep the sign wave phases from making the diodes act as "half wave, twice current", but I could be wrong.)

ZM, your avater is really ""fugly"", and I bet you are bored to death, right now?:D Incidentally, I "just" made a bunch of measuring tool's;) Have a look at my DIY measuring mic. Callibrated mic?? Not really, but its easy enough to produce a calibration file in daqarta, and feed it into speaker-workshop, or whatever you fancy!
My Mic has build-in preamp, (Ofcourse!) He-he, the funny little electret capsule cant drive several meters of cable, with its few mV's of output. Contrary to common beleive!
http://www.daqarta.com/

Attachments

• meas_mic.jpg
    meas_mic.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 312
This is my speaker-measurement equipment, still building on a chipamp, for frequency measurements. A chipamp is perfect for the purpose, a few clean and undistorted watt's, is great for ......Bla....bla...... bla ..... Wallin-jig, with needed gadgets....

:) :D

Attachments

• wallin_mic.jpg
    wallin_mic.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 292
Magura said:
What's wrong with amp building all of a sudden ? :whazzat:

Magura :)

Nothing at all:cool: I just thought it was time to move on, and take a look at speakers, allthough its way more complicated than building amp's. Main reason for moving on, is having built the U.P's. I am so happy with the sound of those, that I doubt I can build anything better. I will build an occasional amp now and then, still needing to finish ZM's funny little X-ed LU thing;) and whatever Mr. Pass has up his sleeve for us;)
Have a look at the livingroom, right now:eek: Speaker-work... Just quick and dirty proto box'es.
I am using this for the measurements: http://www.speakerworkshop.com/ It seems to run smoothly under Linux, using the KDE desktop and WINE. Gnome didnt work too good. It's installed on a laptop, which ofcourse makes it a lot easier to use for any practical purpose. Designwise I hope to end up with something like the Sons of Rushmore. Looking at those makes me realise that they are not only things of extreme beauty, but also they are a really well thought out design. Ofcourse I need to find someone with access to CNC furniture machining, and with a little luck, I might just have;) I Wont use the SEAS drivers though, being a Scanspeak fan. Have a look at Pass Labs masterpiece on the picture. I will make a 3-way with approx 90dB sensitivity. The 86 dB of the originals are not really well suited to play around with small SE amps, but ofcourse the originals are biamp-ready with active crossover so one could ofcourse just connect more amp's. Mainly for the looks, will I keep an eye on the SR1's. Man, am i tempted to abuse the bank-account.

Mark, I hope your pinched nerve is getting better:), and what is going on with ZM's back? Making trouble again?

R-K, the plan is to try the old Siemens cap's as output cap's for the Zen headphone amp. That will probably tell if they are any good.

Attachments

• sr-1_location2.jpg
    sr-1_location2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 543